Options

Galleries in several Folders?

henrikoskinenhenrikoskinen Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
edited December 21, 2020 in SmugMug Support
Is it possible to have a gallery in more than one folder?

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins

You could "collect" all the photos to another gallery.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Thanks Allen. I can collect the images or virtual copies of the images but I need then to create a new duplicate gallery for these images. That's the easiest solution I have figured out. This would still duplicate my galleries and folders, but that's what I must do if there is no way to "create virtual galleries" or have a gallery in many folders. Just wanted to check if this is really the easiest or the only solution.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins

Create all the extra galleries you want collect to each. Problem is, all collected photos use the settings from the original gallery.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    The problem is that I have 900 galleries and 6000 photos. I need to create a new folder structure to be able to index my site properly. But I don't want to change the present URLs visible to web. All I really need is a new set of folders on top of the existing galleries. But there seems to be no way to accomplish this without creating duplicate galleries. I could collect virtual photos or use smart rules, but there seems to be no way to avoid duplicating the galleries.

Thanks for your help Allen.
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

I don't know if this will address your needs or not, but if is just a matter of displaying an alternate organization structure on you website, try this. Create a second folder tree with no galleries. Then, on the web display for each folder, place a folders/gallery/page content block using the Select From "Items I Choose" option. Choose the appropriate sub-folders and galleries for the new tree structure. This approach does not move any galleries or create second copies. It puts an item in the new content block that points to the gallery in its original location. Note that ff the structure is simple enough, you can just use gallery content blocks instead of folder/gallery/page ones.

There are some issues. The breadcrumbs still show the original folder structure. When you add a new gallery, you have you have to re-do the folder/gallery/page content block selection. (There's an bug in the tool that edits the f/g/p block content selection.) If you can get by with gallery content blocks, you can edit the contents, however. (No bug in that case.)

I do something like this on my site. See my Photo Library Page. The organization "By Year" shows the actual folders that contain the galleries. The organization "By Topic" provides an alternate re-organization of those same galleries, but the it's all done with content blocks pointing to galleries in the "year" folders. My Site Design Page has some additional discussion on how this works. To get around the breadcrumb problem, all my gallery descriptions include links that include the levels on the secondary by-topic tree.

Again, this may or may not work for you. Setting all this up for a folder tree holding 900 galleries would be no small task.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options

Thanks Jim, I will try your method.