Options

Color Management

GordonGordon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited December 13, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I started using the Windows XP function "Extend my windows Desktop onto this Monitor" to use both my Laptop and Monitor. It doubles the work space..

Does anyone know how the Adobe Gamma decides which screen to apply the ICC profile?

I noticed that dragging the Adobe Gamma step by step wizard between the screens changed the screen it was located on. Does this mean it is possible to load a different Adobe Gamma ICC profile for each screen?

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited December 12, 2005
    Hmmmmm....
    I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm confident that someone will jump in here shortly that does know.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    You may want to check the Color Management forum at the Adobe user forums, because I believe the behavior of color management on Windows depends on the video card you have installed. Some Windows video cards are not capable of distinguishing one monitor from another for the purposes of assigning profiles or gamma, but your card might.
  • Options
    ruddersrudders Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2005
    Hi there,

Windows Colour Management cannot assign different profiles to each monitor if you only have one video card. And as you have a laptop - you only have one card.

I suggest you download the new powertoy from Microsoft. It will allow you to be very specific about which profile is active for your colour profiled screen http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/colorcontrol.mspx

The steps are;
    1. Decide which monitor you want calibrated - I use a CRT for colours and an LCD for the Photoshop palettes for instance.
    2. Run ADOBE Gamma - on the screen you want matched.
    3. Save the new ICC profile.
    4. Use the color powertoy to assign it as the DEFAULT for the device.
    5. Away you go.
    oh, then go buy yourself a real calibration tool - the difference will astound you . . . assuming you profile your paper/printer combinations to.

Cheers and good luck
  • Options
    GordonGordon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Thanks
    Thanks guys... thumb.gif I'm away to download the new Powertoy from Microsoft and add the Pantone ColorVision Spyder2 Win/Mac to my Christmas list - $150 from amazon...

I've always struggled with a profile for paper/printer combinations to - the best I achieved was a ICC Web Download called ColorTownHPGlossPaper - I use this to soft proof prints before printing to my HP PSC 950 printer - it gets close on HP Premium Gloss Paper but is not perfect.