Canon 5D Mark III
F/10 8 seconds

David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 6, 2021

One of the 5 best lighthouses in the country, IMO.

That's some moody lighting! Good timing getting the light coming on as you hit the shutter. Took me about an hour there to get that right. Tide looks low. That stuff rose 5 feet while I waited on the rocks and I had to move twice higher up by a few feet each time. How crowded was it?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very nice. When I was there, I made no effort to reach the perspective you show here. But it's such a photographic opportunity that it's almost impossible to not get a memorable shot. The mood in your shot really sets this image apart from most others.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins

@David_S85 said:
    One of the 5 best lighthouses in the country, IMO.

That's some moody lighting! Good timing getting the light coming on as you hit the shutter. Took me about an hour there to get that right. Tide looks low. That stuff rode 5 feet while I waited on the rocks and I had to move twice higher up by a few feet each time. How crowded was it?

Hey David, I went to Acadia the last week of September into the first week of October so it was considered an off week. That being said, I did have to park down the road and walk a bit to the lighthouse because the parking lot was full. This is about mid-tide. If it were low tide, there wouldn’t be any water to shoot at all and high tide wouldn’t have allowed me to get out on the rocks. Got lucky with the tide timing well with sunset.

My Website

@black mamba said:
    Very nice. When I was there, I made no effort to reach the perspective you show here. But it's such a photographic opportunity that it's almost impossible to not get a memorable shot. The mood in your shot really sets this image apart from most others.

Thank you! I’ve seen shots on foggy days that really stand out to me as well.

My Website
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Fantastic.

For me the PINK inside the light is out of place and making it much less enjoyable. I would find a way to desaturate it without drawing attention to that area.

The HUGE watermark also is drawing eye and acting as distraction.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Beautiful, David.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 6, 2021

@Stumblebum said:
    Fantastic.
    For me the PINK inside the light is out of place and making it much less enjoyable. I would find a way to desaturate it without drawing attention to that area.

In darkness, the light is pure red. I have three final edited shots of this lighthouse. Two of those show a mild pinkish red glow when the sun was still up and behind the clouds. I agree that red is what the brain wants to see, but the lighting conditions and reflections of the sky off those huge lamphouse windows probably play a role in the hue. It seemed to change over the couple hours we were there in the fall of 2019.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Yes David, Red would work! Cheers!

@David_S85 said:

@Stumblebum said:
    Fantastic.

In darkness, the light is pure red. I have three final edited shots of this lighthouse. Two of those show a mild pinkish red glow when the sun was still up and behind the clouds. I agree that red is what the brain wants to see, but the lighting conditions and reflections of the sky off those huge lamphouse windows probably play a role in the hue. It seemed to change over the couple hours we were there in the fall of 2019.

Re-edit

My Website