Options

Christmas is coming

grafxxpluzgrafxxpluz Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited December 13, 2005 in Technique
I have been offered to shot fullbody portraits at a semi-formal christmas party and I was thinking of using a gray 10'x15' backdrop. Would that be a good color for this event?

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    grafxxpluz wrote:
    I have been offered to shot fullbody portraits at a semi-formal christmas party and I was thinking of using a gray 10'x15' backdrop. Would that be a good color for this event?
    Bump - Can anybody help??
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Gray will work just fine for this type of event. If i were doing it I might try to get a hold of a painted muslin type of background - the kind with a vignette look to it. It would add just a spark of interest instead of the flat gray. Often that type of background gets it's own background light but even if you didn't use one, it would work fine.

Just keep the subjects away from the background to avoid or soften shadows.

A local photo shop/rental studio in my pretty small community rents backgrounds for a pretty cheap price ($10.). You migh call around your local area and try to find something like that.

What does the shooting enviroment look like? Maybe an attractive corner that you could secure and skip the background?

Good luck
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    grafxxpluzgrafxxpluz Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2005
    Gray will work just fine for this type of event. If i were doing it I might try to get a hold of a painted muslin type of background - the kind with a vignette look to it. It would add just a spark of interest instead of the flat gray. Often that type of background gets it's own background light but even if you didn't use one, it would work fine.

Just keep the subjects away from the background to avoid or soften shadows.

A local photo shop/rental studio in my pretty small community rents backgrounds for a pretty cheap price ($10.). You migh call around your local area and try to find something like that.

What does the shooting enviroment look like? Maybe an attractive corner that you could secure and skip the background?

Good luck
    Thanks for your help. I am going to look into the rental idea and if not that I will go with the flat gray. I will post some picture at the event so you can view how it turn out.