Trash Bears

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited November 24, 2020 in Wildlife

Took a lil month long trip to the Smokies, back to where I grew up, and spent time with the kids and grandkids. Took about 3 days to find some bears...in the driveway.

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Love this series. They seem right at home. And the guy in the last shot appears to have been tagged.

As a sidebar, my property is surrounded by Pines and old Walnut trees that still bear fruit. This area is rife with walnut loving bears and squirrels (many other critters big and small, but that ignore the Walnuts). I finally stopped putting my garbage can out for pickup after the clever bears finally figured out how to work around the sponges soaked with Ammonia hanging in the can to ward them and the raccoons off. I now drive my garbage to the Transfer Station myself weekly. Necessary things we have to do to live in their world. :)

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@Cavalier said:
    Love this series. They seem right at home. And the guy in the last shot appears to have been tagged.

As a sidebar, my property is surrounded by Pines and old Walnut trees that still bear fruit. This area is rife with walnut loving bears and squirrels (many other critters big and small, but that ignore the Walnuts). I finally stopped putting my garbage can out for pickup after the clever bears finally figured out how to work around the sponges soaked with Ammonia hanging in the can to ward them and the raccoons off. I now drive my garbage to the Transfer Station myself weekly. Necessary things we have to do to live in their world. :)

Thank you! Yes, that double tagged fella = 2 strikes, next time is the long nap, unfortunately. When I shot that photo, there was an old lady standing in the front yard behind it, about 30ft back, yelling to me, 'You can take him home if ya want!' Meanwhile, I'm just thinking to myself, 'Get your old arse back inside before this thing eats you!' lol

Sounds like your place is a zoo...perfect for camera-ing!

• SJOttoRodgersSJOttoRodgers Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins

Love this series! They seem perfectly tame which I'm sure it's a mistake for one to think they are.

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins

This beautiful Bear seems right at home foraging thru anything that looks to offer a tasty treat?
    Nice series.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Nice work, JBR. Those bears look really healthy and well fed. There's more of those things in the Smokies than anywhere else in the U.S. , as I'm sure you know. In some parts, they're becoming a real nuisance. A guy I know had, what he described as the largest black bear he's ever seen , try and break down his back kitchen door to the decking. His dogs raised such a fuss that it quickly left.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins

Very well done - not so sure if I would want to be the owner of the truck - lol - Happy 2021 ! - jerryr