Are you actually having any sales?

MrfunksMrfunks Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins

New to this, but not hearing much regarding success stories.

Have you had any?
If so whats your website?
Just trying to get some inspiration, to what layout and method actually works?
Do you have a blog separate?
Do you Market your site?

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@Mrfunks said:
    Have you had any?

Yes.

@Mrfunks said:

In my signature.

@Mrfunks said:

Yes, my website is WordPress that I include a blog. I use SmugMug only for my gallery.

@Mrfunks said:
    Do you Market your site?

No, just relay on Google.

• ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins

Have you had any?

Yes. Occasional smaller size print sales though site. Majority though are from e-mail enquiries, so I fulfill the order outside of Smugmug.

In sig.

Just trying to get some inspiration, to what layout and method actually works?

I use a pretty standard large thumbnail layout for galleries. Best thing to do is look at the websites for large artists that sell their work, and try to emulate their structure.

No. I created a blog folder in the Organizer, then make Pages within it which I use to make blog posts. It's very janky however as SM still refuses to offer any kind of blogging solution.

Do you Market your site?

No. I just try to use good SEO practices for the site and images to show up on Google, and the occasional plug on FB/Twitter/IG.

• mgrapermgraper Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    Are any of you selling/shipping outside your home country? I'm curious how you are handling sales outside the US SmugMug options for drop shipping? Any issues with extra shipping and/or VAT adding to the cost to client?

Thanks!!

@mgraper said:
    Are any of you selling/shipping outside your home country? I'm curious how you are handling sales outside the US SmugMug options for drop shipping? Any issues with extra shipping and/or VAT adding to the cost to client?

Thanks!!

My sales seem to be a 60/40 split between Europe and USA respectively. I chose the US lab (Bayphoto) as I proofed my files for them and like the results and options SM give us with them. I can't produce quality prints here in Vietnam so have to drop ship regardless.

I get quite a few blind orders on my SM site both from countries in western Europe and USA/CAN, but majority of Europeans tend to e-mail me first asking questions about prints/shipping etc, so that's when I tend to take charge and fulfill the order personally outside of the SM system. Biggest issue is with larger prints and metalprints which can cost a fortune to ship, even through USPS. So I'll weigh up ordering through BayPhoto or switching to WhiteWall which is a German lab that can ship around Europe/UK for much less.

One thing to note, especially if you are using BayPhoto as your SM print partner, is that the shipping costs for larger sized framed prints/metal/acrylic/canvas actually might be cheaper through the SM partnership rather than ordering direct. Sure customers might be put off by the high shipping fees, but the reality is that's what it costs and they're not just arbitrarily marking up the prices. The biggest benefit of SM over doing it all yourself is that they handle any tax related stuff in the checkout, and help deal with any customer issues i.e. refunds/reprints. Doing it yourself is a lot harder and keep in mind most labs don't offer refunds so if you place an expensive order and the customer doesn't like it then you gotta handle that situation all on your own.

It's hard to find the right balance if you're trying to sell to the whole world, but eventually you'll find where your primary market is and work around it.

> @Shinrya said:
    > My sales seem to be a 60/40 split between Europe and USA respectively. I chose the US lab (Bayphoto) as I proofed my files for them and like the results and options SM give us with them. I can't produce quality prints here in Vietnam so have to drop ship regardless.
    >
    > I get quite a few blind orders on my SM site both from countries in western Europe and USA/CAN, but majority of Europeans tend to e-mail me first asking questions about prints/shipping etc, so that's when I tend to take charge and fulfill the order personally outside of the SM system. Biggest issue is with larger prints and metalprints which can cost a fortune to ship, even through USPS. So I'll weigh up ordering through BayPhoto or switching to WhiteWall which is a German lab that can ship around Europe/UK for much less.
    >
    > One thing to note, especially if you are using BayPhoto as your SM print partner, is that the shipping costs for larger sized framed prints/metal/acrylic/canvas actually might be cheaper through the SM partnership rather than ordering direct. Sure customers might be put off by the high shipping fees, but the reality is that's what it costs and they're not just arbitrarily marking up the prices. The biggest benefit of SM over doing it all yourself is that they handle any tax related stuff in the checkout, and help deal with any customer issues i.e. refunds/reprints. Doing it yourself is a lot harder and keep in mind most labs don't offer refunds so if you place an expensive order and the customer doesn't like it then you gotta handle that situation all on your own.
    >
    > It's hard to find the right balance if you're trying to sell to the whole world, but eventually you'll find where your primary market is and work around it.

Thank you so much for this helpful information! I'm in Europe now so will also investigate Whitewall as an option. Cheers and thanks for your most helpful and detailed reply!😊
    > @mgraper said:
    > > @Shinrya said:
    > > My sales seem to be a 60/40 split between Europe and USA respectively. I chose the US lab (Bayphoto) as I proofed my files for them and like the results and options SM give us with them. I can't produce quality prints here in Vietnam so have to drop ship regardless.
    > >
    > > I get quite a few blind orders on my SM site both from countries in western Europe and USA/CAN, but majority of Europeans tend to e-mail me first asking questions about prints/shipping etc, so that's when I tend to take charge and fulfill the order personally outside of the SM system. Biggest issue is with larger prints and metalprints which can cost a fortune to ship, even through USPS. So I'll weigh up ordering through BayPhoto or switching to WhiteWall which is a German lab that can ship around Europe/UK for much less.
    > >
    > > One thing to note, especially if you are using BayPhoto as your SM print partner, is that the shipping costs for larger sized framed prints/metal/acrylic/canvas actually might be cheaper through the SM partnership rather than ordering direct. Sure customers might be put off by the high shipping fees, but the reality is that's what it costs and they're not just arbitrarily marking up the prices. The biggest benefit of SM over doing it all yourself is that they handle any tax related stuff in the checkout, and help deal with any customer issues i.e. refunds/reprints. Doing it yourself is a lot harder and keep in mind most labs don't offer refunds so if you place an expensive order and the customer doesn't like it then you gotta handle that situation all on your own.
    > >
    > > It's hard to find the right balance if you're trying to sell to the whole world, but eventually you'll find where your primary market is and work around it.
    >
    > Thank you so much for this helpful information! I'm in Europe now so will also investigate Whitewall as an option. Cheers and thanks for your most helpful and detailed reply!😊
    >

Also...your images are so lovely...thanks for sharing them to the world!

@mgraper said:
    Also...your images are so lovely...thanks for sharing them to the world!

Thanks so much. Very kind of you to say,

• picturegalpicturegal Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2021
    Does anyone shoot to sell your images to commercial clients? If yes, do you direct them to your website to purchase prints? I may have clients who want to purchase custom orders. These types of orders would have to be sold somewhere else as Smugmug doesn't offer a lot of options, for example, framing. I would like to sell off of Smugmug but not sure how to do that.