Infrared explorations

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I hadn't been using my infrared camera recently so I pulled it out and tried a couple of new things. Criticism is welcome.

Cholla:

Reflection:

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2021

Hey, Don. I don't know a whole lot about IR photography. Can your first shot be adjusted to exhibit more contrast. This version appears to me to be very washed out. I would not have known that the second shot was IR if you had not said so. I do like the " squiggly " effect the water imparts to the shot.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Tom, I intentionally lowered the contrast in the first one and went for a high-key effect. It won't be to everyone's tastes. Thanks for the comment.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Interesting shots, I have never done IR, but it seems it opens the door to a lot of interesting possibilities.

Thanks, Cristobal. I go through periods of shooting infrared. It uses a different tonal language.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Don...

Very interesting IR shots! I really like #2, a nice effect and certainly makes a wonderful B+W image. I feel that image #1 is a bit too blown-out for me. Tweaking the darks IMHO would elevate the image.

Nice to see others here shooting IR.

• pembsphotopembsphoto Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins

Love the first shot, really works in high-key.

www.dstreetphoto.com

Gato, pembsphoto, the comments are much appreciated.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Awe, Don, that first image is reminiscent of a hoar frost, and your treatment makes the scene more delicate than insidious. The second image has compelling elements in both the lower-left and upper-right, which do not overwhelm, but encourage scrutiny.

Liking them both, very much.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Thanks, ziggy. I got out of bounds a bit with these but it's good to do that now and then.