Mini Challenge #312: Home

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
edited January 24, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

Even as I look forward to traveling again, I appreciate my home. For this challenge, I invite you to show me what communicates "home" to you. Your family? Pets? A view from your window? A favorite tree or flowers in the garden? A favorite food or daily ritual? I would really like to see what says "home" to you!

Coming back to clarify this challenge: I am hoping for something a little different than the "My Home Town" challenge we had in October 2020. I will accept images of your "home town" but please don't repeat any images you may have shared in that challenge. My apologies for any confusion in my initial description.

This challenge will run for two weeks, ending Wednesday Feb 3rd at 8 pm (Eastern Standard Time). 

A few examples...

View from my window last spring (ready for visitors)

A dogwood blossom in our garden

Thanksgiving fun at my daughter's home (our home base for outdoor family gatherings this year because they have 2 propane heaters and a fire pit for chilly weather)

Our Christmas tree was on the deck this year, decorated with the first real snowfall

And if you haven't participated before, please take a look at the un-official rules here: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

Comments

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited January 24, 2021

Yesterday I spent some time looking back through the list of challenges we have done in the past. One of the earlier topics could have been a lot of fun for the participants but incredibly difficult to judge: Favorite (as in your favorite photos). :smile: I came up with a few ideas for this challenge, but "Home" is the only one I could post with photos as examples. And as it happens, a similar challenge was posted 12 years ago!

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2021

With little to occupy my time today, I guess I'll go first.
    I think for me it's the simple things that are Home for me.
    With a subject like this I could go thru my beautiful "House" Pictures, or something else Cliché that meets the required topic.
    Instead, You have forced me into "The SnapShot Zone". Please enjoy.

The simple comforts of a loving wife and wonderful children/grandchildren.
    At home in Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

A fishing Pole in Hand (with my Granddaughter)
    Visiting Edgewater, Florida, USA

Being Behind a Camera with a tripod and a beautiful scene to capture is Always home to me.
    Photos from the North Rim Grand Canyon.
    (Yes, that is a Loong way down. Yes it goes all the way down on all three sides)

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited January 21, 2021

@shawnc, thank you for getting us started!

Looking forward to seeing the variety of responses to this challenge!

• pembsphotopembsphoto Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins

A view of my home-town, Pembroke Dock, catching the afternoon sun.

www.dstreetphoto.com

@pempsphoto, thank you for your contribution! These mini-challenges allow everyone to post three entries, so please feel free to come back and post two more images!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 21, 2021

Great theme choice! Here are my 3;

1 Our home (chicken coop and junk cars and all! :D )

2 Night View from our back deck (neighborhood in foreground, which are all family owned and city of Wasilla in background).

3 Pioneer Peak ( taken from our dock)

edited January 21, 2021

@JAG , thank you for your entries!

We are off to a great start!

edited January 21, 2021

Note: Some of you will remember that we had a lovely challenge in October 2020 focused on "My Home Town." I am not looking for a repeat of that challenge! But I will accept images of your home town as one of many ways to think of "home." I have edited the description of the challenge to clarify this. Thanks!

• maxphotomaxphoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2021
    waiting for permission to upload images...
    edited January 23, 2021

I want to welcome @pembsphoto and @maxphoto to the dgrin mini challenges! I am thinking that Pembrokeshire would be a great addition to my list of places I would like to visit!

@maxphoto - looking forward to seeing what you upload!

This challenge will continue until February 3rd, so there is still lots of time for more entries.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme with a lot of possibilities!

Here's my entries:

1: Cozy Christmas

2: Winter wonderland in our garden

3: View from our kitchen door after a big downpoor

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@pegelli - thank you for your contributions! Great to see some more entries!

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I finally picked a few so I'll jump in.

For us, the one of the strongest plus points and identifiers of our home is the view. We are in the city limits of a city of 300,000 but we are lucky enough to live just on the edge of the large city-owned nature preserve and so have an uninterrupted view of nature from our back windows and balcony. Although our view is not as spectacular as Joyce's ( @JAG ) we treasure it at all times of the year. We love watching "our" deer family that lives in the reeds and comes out to graze several times a day. Here are three views from our balcony at different times of year.

1) February morning

2) November morning

3) July rainbow

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2021

I have a lot of photos of houses we have lived in and even photos of the gardens. But they are just buildings. What says Home to me is inside. My children are part of Home for me (they are all adults now) but I decided to use objects instead.

1) A rag doll my godmother made me

2) A cat, a couch and the remote

3) A fire in the fireplace (digitized film)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@sarasphotos and @grandmaR - Great to see your entries and their descriptions!

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2021

Here are my entries:

The hearth, flowers, sculpture and a Courting Candle. (With a little bit of R.C. Gorman on the side)

Tom Turkey checking out my home office for a warm nest

My late husband (still my only love and home) and his daughter at our previous home.

• maxphotomaxphoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2021

Misty sunrise in our back yard.
    BMX action at local park
    Idaho Capitol building at sunset

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Jo when the computer opened on your post, I got the 2nd photo with the third caption below it. I kept looking at it wondering why you were calling your husband a turkey. :)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@Cavalier and @maxphoto - thank you for your entries! I am enjoying seeing the variety of ways people are interpreting this mini challenge!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great theme with a lot of great interpretations!

Looking out the living room window

Our home, shot several years ago for a DGrin challenge - Orton style

Home with our "chosen" family at the bluegrass festival, our home away from home for almost 2 weeks a year.
    Closest thing to city life for us - campers are packed in.

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • SJOttoRodgersSJOttoRodgers Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2021

Home in my backyard
    1) Male Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker showing off his beautiful Spring Plumage in my backyard

2) Female Great Horned Owl sitting on nest in my backyard

https://sjotto-rodgers.smugmug.com/

@lkbart and @SJOttoRodgers - thank you for your entries! Great to have lots of participation and interesting to see the variety of ways people are interpreting this challenge!

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Great subject!

1. The view from the end of my driveway, January 2020

1. One of my sanity projects was to post an image of a flower in my garden on my facebook account every day. So I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees with a macro lens

1. We spent a lot of time watching birds at our feeders. A sharp-shinned hawk adopted the feeders, so to speak, and has made almost daily appearances

edited January 31, 2021

@DavidRGillespie Thank you for your entries! Seeing your photo of a sharp-shinned hawk reminds me of a recent sighting in our front yard. We saw a red fox looking at a young cooper's hawk in our crepe myrtle tree, and the hawk was keeping an eye on our bird feeders.

This challenge ends on Wednesday evening, so there is still plenty of time for others to join this mini!

One more day to enter this challenge!

This mini-challenge is not closed. Thank you all for your entries. Not sure how I will manage to judge such diverse points fo view but will work on it tomorrow and try to post something on Friday.