Options

Rhododendron Heaven

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Each year in June, Roan Mountain in Tennessee puts out a display of Rhododendron that draws folks from all over the country. This past June was an exceptional year for viewing. In the past, I have posted a shot or two of the scenes......this year, I figured to just wear you out with the beauty up there.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

Gorgeous, thanks for posting!
    My favorites are 1 and 7.

There is a state park near me that was an old estate. There are rhododendron and azaleas all over the property and it is amazing when they are in bloom. You shots remind me of Maudslay State Park.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely location Tom!
    Like the first one most! I am wondering if tighter crop would be better. Top is fine but the soft focus petals in bottom right corner are distracting. If mine I would drag bottom right corner towards center to get them out of the way bring focus on best part.

I think it was dark or low light situation? It seems the aperture is opened up and lot of area are very soft in focus.
    I would just crank up the ISO and keep f-9 or above to keep everything sharp.

Cheers Tom!

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:
    Gorgeous, thanks for posting!
    My favorites are 1 and 7.

There is a state park near me that was an old estate. There are rhododendron and azaleas all over the property and it is amazing when they are in bloom. You shots remind me of Maudslay State Park.

Thanks for the visit, Denise. I hope you're doing well.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2021

@Stumblebum said:
    Lovely location Tom!
    Like the first one most! I am wondering if tighter crop would be better. Top is fine but the soft focus petals in bottom right corner are distracting. If mine I would drag bottom right corner towards center to get them out of the way bring focus on best part.

I think it was dark or low light situation? It seems the aperture is opened up and lot of area are very soft in focus.
    I would just crank up the ISO and keep f-9 or above to keep everything sharp.

Cheers Tom!

Hey, Taz. I think your crop suggestion on #1 works for me. The sky had a lot of low cloud cover....patches of blue sky came and went. I'm almost certain that these were all shot at F 8. The real culprit to any soft appearance is that they were all shot handheld. Toting a tripod on that hike was not an option. I would have loved to be at F 10 or so but going handheld, and lucky to be walking after the hike up, demanded that I open up to shorten exposures. I could have jacked the ISO but I thought I was going to be fine. As always, buddy, I value your input. Thanks.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

5 and 7 for me, beautiful place!

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great set Tom.I love these flowering evergreens. Rhododendrons (Rhodys) are the Washington state flower. Almost everyone's landscape has at least one, and I have found them all through the Cascade range, down into Oregon.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

@Juano said:
    5 and 7 for me, beautiful place!

Thanks. The area I was in isn't even the prime area. Further up the mountain, the display of concentrated color is almost overwhelming ....as are the hoards of folks out for a look.

• Options

Boy, Phil. it's great to hear from you. You doing OK? If those things would live down in Florida, I'd sure stick some on my property. When they're blooming, you'll see those flowers all through the Appalachians.

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Boy, Phil. it's great to hear from you. You doing OK? If those things would live down in Florida, I'd sure stick some on my property. When they're blooming, you'll see those flowers all through the Appalachians.

Doing great Tom. My wife and I spent the last 6 months completing contracts, closing our company, auctioning equipment and selling the real estate. Retired for the 4th and final time 12/31/2020. More photography on the horizon, lord willing!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!