Possible CSS to pic H1 Tag issue?

photoman10photoman10 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins

Today I did a website scan with Bing Website manager and to my shock I have a ton of pages with multiple H1 tags. I currently use the Smugmug theme and really like the presentation. I did some checking and suddenly I realized Bing reported 139 pages with multiple H1 tags,. Guess how many images I have on the site so far? Around 139.

Then it hit me, each Gallery page has one H1 tag for the Title but each image also has a Title field which I suspect by default is ALSO a H1 tag, hence when you scan a link like

https://www.normstokesphotography.com/Photo-galleries/Scenic-Views/i-6nm9pMq

The gallery page "Scenic-Views" by itself has a H1 tag but when you add "i-6nm9pMq" (the selected image) for the complete URL the image also has a Hi tag in it's title, the two combined created the error reported by Bing.

I may be wrong but I have been really looking and I cannot see any other way that there could be multiple H1 tags on every from the gallery.

Is there a CSS hack that I can add that would change the images title field to a H2 tag and to add code to the CSS too where it still appears like it does currently as a H1 tag or is this a code issue the Smugmug needs to address??

I hope I kept this short and clear enough to make sense for everyone to understand. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins

I don't think it's your image's title that is causing the double H1 tag warning. The problem seems to be (for your page as well as for mine) that the gallery title (here "Scenic Views") and the website title (here "Where Photography is the start") both are H1 tags. (On my page the Lille Ulven Photography on the top as well as the gallery titles are H1 tags too.)
    And to my knowledge, there is no turn an H1 into an H2 if the H1 has the class of "sm-gallery-cover-title" in CSS. So this would be something for smugmug to fix in the next release of their gallery templates, I believe.

https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • photoman10photoman10 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins

Dang, i have to look at that,, that never crossed my mind but you are right that would do it. Thanks. Didn't think CSS could do that change but figured i'd ask. Again thanks i will look at that right now as i do not want that error on the page.

@Lille Ulven said:
    I don't think it's your image's title that is causing the double H1 tag warning. The problem seems to be (for your page as well as for mine) that the gallery title (here "Scenic Views") and the website title (here "Where Photography is the start") both are H1 tags. (On my page the Lille Ulven Photography on the top as well as the gallery titles are H1 tags too.)
    And to my knowledge, there is no turn an H1 into an H2 if the H1 has the class of "sm-gallery-cover-title" in CSS. So this would be something for smugmug to fix in the next release of their gallery templates, I believe.

I took that line out and the tag line and reran the test, it only lowered the multiple H1 tag issue by 6 pages. I have an escalation to the SM engineers to see how to get this fixed.

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

There is nothing to "fix". There is nothing wrong with having more than one H1 tags nowadays. It's all about the context. It's "bad" to have several h1 tags in the content page, but it's fine to have a h1 in the header, one in the body etc.

@Hikin' Mike said:
    There is nothing to "fix". There is nothing wrong with having more than one H1 tags nowadays. It's all about the context. It's "bad" to have several h1 tags in the content page, but it's fine to have a h1 in the header, one in the body etc.

In this case, one in the header, another in the body, and a 3rd in the title of the image but thanks, all rendered as one page when combine. I need to let Bing know their new SEO scan is defective, they might have not got the memo either :). Do you have a link I can refer them to, to back me up with data? Appreciate the help.

I haven't in the past, just loaded the new upgrade and it is actually very nice except it says there are problems that you have corrected me on. Guess, I'll dump it and stay with the google search Console .

• ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins

@Hikin' Mike said:
    I don't use Bing.

You and 99% of the world's population ;)