A defunct fur ranch

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins

Research shows it was functioning until the mid '00s (albeit in probably a reduced capacity).

One of dozens of mink sheds -

And one of dozens of fox kennels -

And the ruined house -

The owners live in a nicer house across the road. There are no No Trespassing signs and I've explored the area twice over the years. One of these days I'd like to knock on their door and ask about what it was like running a place like this.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

First one is fabulous! I like the sharpness. Not so sure about the immediate foreground, but its still good!
    Just for experimental purposes, I would consider processing first one in b&w as well!
    Cheers!

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins

Thanks much. I worked it in B&W and somehow it felt too static. So I did a slight desat and I think it retains the cold feeling, but is more dynamic. That's just me. The FG is what it is. I didn't want to go messing around with moving things and the light in the more cleared sheds wasn't quite as good. I guess I might need to make another trip!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Nice images. I really like #2. I love shooting this kind of stuff.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Nice presentation of aging structures!

Like #1 and the leading line down the middle of the structure and out the back.

Great perspective and "seeing" the shot before taking the image.

Hope you do get to knock on that door.

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Nice images. I really like #2. I love shooting this kind of stuff.

Thanks much. Yeah, this was a heck of a find. Most of our abandoned farms are dairy.

@El Gato said:
    Nice presentation of aging structures!

Like #1 and the leading line down the middle of the structure and out the back.

Great perspective and "seeing" the shot before taking the image.

Hope you do get to knock on that door.

Thanks so much. This was my second visit and I had my husband with me, so I lingered a little more than I normally would have. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to knock - probably send a letter first. Imagine that - a letter!!