HI Flying Dress

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited February 8, 2021 in People

There's a local dress rental company, HI Flying Dress, who offers some pretty dramatically long-train dresses for hourly rental. They pretty much for photo work, but I suppose someone could actually wear the dress to a party or something fancy...except we don't really have such parties on Maui. lol

Anyhow, dress lady reached out to my wife, who is a professional aerialist / cirque performer, and they decided to do a test-collab to see if they might be able to work some biz together. Fortunately for me, I'm the resident photog of the household, so I got the 'nod' for the job (code for 'volun-told')

I don't often photograph people so much these days, as I'm inundated with architectural design shoots full time. However, I do use flash nearly every day, and I used to shoot family beach portraits, so this project gave me ample opportunity to combine a few years of skillsets into one. Overall, I think I'm pretty happy with the outcome, although I am my own worst critic and see a few 'I wish I would have' things in the set. Oh well, such is life, with hindsight and all :smiley:

Gear Nerd Stuff:
Sony a7iii + GM 24-70
Sony a7Riii + GM 16-35
Wistro AD600B w/ small 15" umbrella (super windy day)

Ok, there ya' have it. Feel free to shred it, give pointers, etc. Like I said, I don't photograph people often, so I'm sure there's much room for improvement.

PS: Wife is the one in red.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Wow, what a fantastic set of images.

I can't help but think these images were a lot more work for the models, and the photographer, than many viewers appreciate with a quick look. The wind was natural, not fans, but still looks pretty full in some of the fabric tails.

What a great set of images!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Superb set - loving the colors and composition. #5 and 10 are my favorites.

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins

Wonderful series. Not sure how I will rip this apart, so here is my remark:
    Your Wife Rocks the Dress! As do the other models.
    I do not shoot people often either, so I think the composition, Colors, Clarity of message is awesome.
    And that TREE!

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@pathfinder said:
    Wow, what a fantastic set of images.

I can't help but think these images were a lot more work for the models, and the photographer, than many viewers appreciate with a quick look. The wind was natural, not fans, but still looks pretty full in some of the fabric tails.

What a great set of images!

@Cavalier said:
    Superb set - loving the colors and composition. #5 and 10 are my favorites.

@shawnc said:
    Wonderful series. Not sure how I will rip this apart, so here is my remark:
    Your Wife Rocks the Dress! As do the other models.
    I do not shoot people often either, so I think the composition, Colors, Clarity of message is awesome.
    And that TREE!

Many many thanks to all of you for the support and input on these images! And yes, as @pathfinder pointed out, this was a very difficult scene to manage. Wind was up around 12-14mph, the models where spinning and twirling in the wind, the dress vendor was there to assist in fanning and spreading the dresses, then let go and click click click, hoping for the best. I'm definitely not a fan of 'spray & pray' shooting, but it was necessary here. Oh, and don't even get me started on my AD600B blowing over in the wind THREE times, despite the large rocks (think basketball sized) and sandbags I had holding it down.

I"m hopeful to get into more of these types of photoshoots now and then, it's a nice change from empty houses devoid of people.

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins