A look to the future?

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I've shot this place several times over the years. It never changes. It's the functioning post office in Penland, N.C. I hope it's not a harbinger of things to come.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

In your many visits to this place, this might be your best!
    Love this Tom!

I don't get why this is bad for future?

Future sucks, but this is beautiful!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Thanks, brother. I guess what I'm saying is that unless this country gets its act together, this shot may well depict the status of what we can expect in the way of government services.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Lovely shot. Really like all the colors, much to drink in.

I would agree with your future forecast for structures such as this one and similar ones across the country, especially in rural, small town locations.

I suspect many of us know someone between the ages of 18 and 30. When do you think was the last time someone from this age group sat down to physically write a letter, put it into an envelope, stick a stamp on it and go to the local post office to mail it? If the services don't get used, are not in demand, I suspect that they will slowly fade away or be greatly condensed, victim to economic/technological evolution.

I am a philatelist (no snickers...I collect stamps), have been doing so since I was about seven. Some rarer items are not rare because of the stamp affixed to the envelope but for the postmark, which "ties" the stamp to the envelope. As technology advances, allowing global communications to occur almost instantaneously, postally used (meaning actually mailed) documents/letters will decrease (possibly even fade away). Case in point...the Internet literally wiped out the bike messenger service business.

Thus, for that future philatelist, finding an envelope stamped and postmarked August 12, 2020 for example, may be as rare and collectable as if one where to find an envelope with the Alaska-Yukon Exposition Cancel (which sold at auction for $10,350).

Tom, sorry for the longer "postal history" reply to your wonderful image.

Keep 'em coming!

Many thanks, Al. I never got into stamp collecting.....probably a good thing. Everything I do collect is about to drive me out of my house. My grandfather was an ardent stamp collector going back to the early1900's. When he died, one of my uncles got the collection. I have no idea what happened to it. But grandad did a thing for me that has stuck with me for life. In the early 1920's he was the Mayor of Foley, Alabama, and he must have developed a sphere of clout during those times. He lived in Magnolia Springs, right outside of Foley, with a house on the Magnolia River. Mail was, and I believe still is, delivered by mail boat to folks that lived on the river. When I was eight years old, grandad arranged for me to spend the day on the boat with the mailman as he made his deliveries. The highlight of the day was when I was allowed to steer the boat.

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins

@shawnc said:
    Love this image. A symbol of Simpler Times.

Thanks. You know, maybe it's a quest for simpler times that drives me to spend as much time as I can up in the Southern Appalachians. That area up there pulls on me with a ferocious force.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Genteel decay, Tom.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins

@black mamba said:

@shawnc said:

Thanks. You know, maybe it's a quest for simpler times that drives me to spend as much time as I can up in the Southern Appalachians. That area up there pulls on me with a ferocious force.

I think there are many of us who are longing for that simpler time where there were common goals, common morals, and Values with a real sense of community.

@shawnc said:

@black mamba said:

@shawnc said:

I think there are many of us who are longing for that simpler time where there were common goals, common morals, and Values with a real sense of community.

You're dead right, Shawn. I'm right there with them.

Tom

@willard3 said:
    Genteel decay, Tom.

I can't say that I've heard the term " genteel decay " before. I know you're into architecture, buddy, so I figured that may be a slang term you guys use. Either way, I get your drift. Take care.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice place! Great shot. Interesting comments too.

@Juano said:
    Nice place! Great shot. Interesting comments too.

Thanks, my friend.