Mini-Challenge #313 Digital Art

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited February 7, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

This should give you a challenge of challenges! Take a picture that YOU OWN and manipulate it in an editor to create a digital piece of art! If you do not own an editor already, then you can find many free online editors. To be certain, the image should definitely show that manipulation has been done. Not just contrast and color changes. Be creative! Let's see your best 3! Have fun!
This challenge will run from February 6th to February 20th at 2pm AST time (which is 11 pm GMT or Greenwich time)

Examples:

This last one was not done in an editor, but was done with using the camera itself by slow speeds and manually zooming the camera as the shutter clicked. You can use this method or any editor that come with the camera too if you so choose.

Comments

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 10, 2021

Very interesting challenge! I haven't done much of this kind of thing but would like explore it sometime. I tried a few tutorials on Sunday, but ended up using an online photo editor instead. I purposely tried out a few different effects for fun. (After processing these images in the online editor, I downloaded them for further processing in photoshop elements.)

Please don't consider these as entries. Thanks!

1) Leopard (cartoon effect)

2) Wintry Landscape (oil painting effect)

3) Mother and Baby Elephants (cross-hatch effect)

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Gretchen @sapphire73 , those are great! Nice app!

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Here are mine:

1) Favorite barn that has since been replaced by asphalt (painted effect)

2) Dew drops on branches reworked with Topaz Glow

3) My friend the Mantis in Line and Ink

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Joyce, this is a great challenge to bring me in uncharted waters. I don't mind a bit of PP but always remain "photo like" and I never crossed into digital art yet.

So I had some fun trying out all the different filters in Photoshop and afterwards try to find some photo's that fit these treatments

Here's my three humble attempts at turning a photo into digital art (but I don't think it qualifies as art yet :/ )

1: Canal reflection (B&W pen draw and then let the original image shine through a little, afterwards a some curve and saturation adjustments to spice it up)

2: Stack of logs (glowing edges + some curve adjustment to make it more dramatic)

3: Squared squares (a photo of a grid, first solarised and then pixelated with reliëf squares)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited February 10, 2021

Jo @Cavalier awesome entries! Thank you for entering!
    Pieter @pegelli All 3 definitely qualify, I'm really liking how number 2 turned out. Thank you for your entries!

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2021

I'm with Pieter,
    I did however try what was called, "OOB's" Out of Border images. I actually found the tutorial here on DGrin back in 07.
    Likely, these are the only Heavily manipulated images in my gallery.
    So these are my OOBs' They were truly fun to create.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

This is a great challenge Joyce. My attempts are all around a single image, interpreted three different ways in photoshop

1. A coarse pointillize filter to create a polka-dot effect on the top layer, then blended with the original using the color blend mode

1. A find edges filter, blended with the original using luminosity blend mode. I added a frame because I liked the look.

1. Twirl left and twirl right blended together with lighten blend mode

@shawnc those are perfect also for this challenge! I didn't add my out of frames and other highly technical images of combining several images to one picture, because I didn't want to scare people away with more complex manipulations. However, this is acceptable to this challenge also! Thank you for entering!

@DavidRGillespie your entries are great! Nice to see different options with just one image! Fun to do too! Thank you for your entries.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

I have periodically fooled around with editing photos but I don't have photoshop or any fancy programs - here are a couple of attempts
    1. Dead Rose

1. Spooky Pumpkin man

2. Orange cat

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@grandmaR those are great! Thank you for entering!

• SJOttoRodgersSJOttoRodgers Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2021
    1. Hummingbird

2.Dogwood

3.Blueberries

Susan
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/photos

@SJOttoRodgers Susan, great entries, thank you for playing! You can still add one more (up to 3 entries) until the closing of the challenge. Just hit the little 'cog wheel' at the top right corner of your post and do an edit to add additional image.

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2021

Great challenge Joyce! Decided to go with a theme - I did a bunch of these years ago & had a lot of fun with it. These are all filtered (Topaz) then copied, mirrored, copied, mirrored (last one is also duplicated & rotated).

Jellyfishy

TreEscape

Parcheesi Clue

Original photo (not an entry):

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Thank you for your entries Lillian @lkbart they are awesome! I'm assuming that you meant for the "original photo" comment to go for the last picture. It is showing up next to the 3rd image on my screen.

A day late and a dollar short! This challenge is closed! I will post results asap!