Mini Challenge #314 - How Low can you Go?

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
edited February 22, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

This new challenge is about How low can you go.... with Perspective.
So many great photos have been captured from Eye level, Waist level.
What about capturing images with the perspective of a small animal, say a Rabbit or small dog.
Yes, this means getting on the ground. This is not about the perspective of looking UP from the ground, or Macro imaging,
it's about looking at your surroundings from a small dogs eye level.
Please post 3 of your best Ground level composed images. Be sure your images have a clear subject.
This mini will last from 2/22 thru 3/8/2021
Here are a few examples to help you along
Golden Shower

Mushrooms

Preening Great Egret

Wedding Images

Snowy White Egret

I am Looking forward to seeing who can get that low Composition, good luck!
This mini will be open for ~2 weeks and close on March 8th

And if you haven't participated before, please take a look at the un-official rules here: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules#latest

Comments

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins

@JAG Please see the next Mini. Please update thread links to begin this challenge.

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 27, 2021

This will be a fun one! I do quite a few of these low perspectives because I am in a wheelchair. Looking forward to see what everyone can come up with!

1 Homer Spit Alaska

2 Rough terrain for plants

3 Forget-me-not ( Alaska state flower)

this one is not for the challenge, but is the same view as the first image I posted, just different focal point. I thought it interesting to see.

edited February 23, 2021

@JAG said:
    This will be a fun one! I do quite a few of these low perspectives because I am in a wheelchair. Looking forward to see what everyone can come up with!

Perfect start! Thanks JAG. One question...how small are the wheels on your chair, because this is really LOW. Awesome

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2021

I also use a mobility device but mine is a scooter. And I have a problem getting down as low as a small dog. This one I took sitting on the ground - It was before I used the scooter. I was walking back to the hotel and I had a cane/seat like a shooting stick. I went to sit on it and the road was slanted and it fell out from under me and I ended up sitting on the ground. I figured as long as I was down there I would take a photo. But I don't think I have any others this low down.

1. Bunratty Castle Hotel

I'll have to look around and see what else I have that comes close to this. Normally if I'm down on the ground I'm looking up at the sky

2. Bird on an Urn

3. Hermitage from a wheelchair

This one is not such a good photo (so it isn't for judging) and it doesn't show that it was taken from low down - it is my reflection in a basement window that I took with my first roll of film when I got my first 35 mm camera in 1958 and it was partly on the leader.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@grandmaR said:
    I also use a mobility device but mine is a scooter. And I have a problem getting down as low as a small dog. This one I took sitting on the ground - It was before I used the scooter. I was walking back to the hotel and I had a cane/seat like a shooting stick. I went to sit on it and the road was slanted and it fell out from under me and I ended up sitting on the ground. I figured as long as I was down there I would take a photo. But I don't think I have any others this low down.
    I'll have to look around and see what else I have that comes close to this. Normally if I'm down on the ground I'm looking up at the sky

A great start gandmaR, just don't injure yourself getting those other two shots...Look forward to any others you may come across.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

I fall slowly and carefully :wink: The cane seat just kind of collapsed under me and slowly deposited me on the ground. The hard part was getting up.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2021

I enjoy this angle so much that my partner has countless extremely unflattering shots of me taking photos while bent over, kneeling, or squatting. :s Thank goodness my camera has a flip up/out screen so that I sometimes can place the camera on the ground or hold it very low to get the shot withough having to lay on the ground.

Hope these three fit the brief for you, Shawn.

1) The snail. Can't get any lower. Augsburg Botanic Gardens.

2) Dolomite Bike Day 2019 (near Corvara, Italy), lying on the ground. Taking a well deserved break after riding up that long incline to the left.

3) Dragonfly dance. Standing in the Lot river in southern France, cooling off during a hot bike ride. Holding the camera at water level and hoping for the best.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Nice theme :)

Here's my contribution:

1: The boss of the neighbourhood

2: Looking under their hats

3: Harvested corn field

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

My 'low' shots are probably not as low as you'd like, but thought I'd participate anyway. It's not the getting low that's the problem, but as @grandmaR implied, it's not the getting low that's hard - it's the getting back up..

1) Geese visiting for the winter

2) From Granddaughter's Maternity photos

3) Yosemite Valley Crow - always begging for whatever you have.

Oh NO! It looks like I have my work cut out for me... These are great! Keep them coming!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 23, 2021

@shawnc said:

@JAG said:

Perfect start! Thanks JAG. One question...how small are the wheels on your chair, because this is really LOW. Awesome

When I'm traveling, I use my travel power wheelchair that I can actually touch the ground if I can bend over enough. It helps that I am a short person, so the seat is on the lowest setting. The trick is to use the auto focus and take more than one shot while the camera is almost sitting on the ground! Got to tilt the camera at different heights to get different focal points. Most times, I have to take it into editing to straighten out the horizon.

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2021

1Empty Sky Memorial
    Steel walls pointing towards Ground Zero, inscribed with the names of New Jersey's 9/11 victims.

2 A girl and a Phrog
    This is my friend's daughter with a Marines CH-46 "Phrog" helicopter in the background, she loves airplanes and she is always at the Airport with her dad

3 Harvey
    In 2017 After Hurricane Harvey passed through it kept raining for several days, but once we could see the fire-hydrant again we knew that the worst was over.

Not for consideration, this is the "Phrog"

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

this is a great challenge, Shawn, and I sure do not envy you trying to sort these out!

1. I do a lot of paddling in a kayak, so I have a ton of water shots from a low angle.

1. Continuing the paddling theme, a shot from the tent door, early morning at Murtle Lake, B.C. Note that you actually do not have to get out of bed to shoot landscape images

1. Comox Bay from Royston beach

Only a few days left!!
    Loving those LOW Snaps!
    Keep them coming!!!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2021
    1. Signs of spring, Round-lobed Hepatica (I think)

2. Under the pier, Hanalei Bay Kauai

3. Cat level view of... a cat

~~Barbara
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great theme Shawn & lots of great photos!

Bluebonnets

Kitty in the wild

Kitty bringing a present! (it got away lol)

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Last Call!
    Closing this Thread at 8:PM Mountain Standard Time zone in Phoenix, AZ (GMT-7)
    Smoke'm if ya Got'm!

edited March 9, 2021

This Mini is now closed.
    I will work on posting results Tues. 3/9 Phoenix, AZ (GMT)
    I hope no one was injured getting their shots...@grandmar
    This will not be an easy task! I've never seen so many "Low Down Photographers"!