Options

RESULTS: Mini Challenge #314 - How Low can you Go?

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 678 Major grins
edited March 9, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

It was nice to see so many wonderful images that met the Challenge Theme. All except @Gatto 's Flying Phrog. Nice capture.
Having so many wonderful images also means that my task becomes more daunting, and you guys really did make this one difficult.
There are several Honorable mentions because I just could not make up my mind.
I am also glad to report there were no injuries during this Mini. At least no one has admitted to any.
Thank you to all who participated in this Mini.
Thank you for allowing me to be your Host for a few weeks.

I am not engaging in any critiques on images, only pointing out what I like about each one.
I think this was a fun challenge. One of many before.

@JAG I always enjoy the Amazing Alaskan Mountain-scapes that you post.
This time it is the "Forget-Me-Nots" that catch my eye. I like the composition, the chained post adds to the image.

@grandmaR I enjoyed what you said here, "I'll have to look around and see what else I have that comes close to this. Normally if I'm down on the ground I'm looking up at the sky"
Today, for me, It is your "Hermitage from a wheelchair" that I feel meets this challenge.
There is something about that last photo with your reflection that I really like.

@sarasphotos You sure are making this difficult. Love all three images...
The snail. Can't get any lower. Augsburg Botanic Gardens. Forget about the perspective of a small animal. This one is more of a Bugs perspective.
The "Dolomite Bike Day" is really beautiful, I like the way the road and pass cut right through the image at just the right place. Great Comp

@pegelli You and @sarasphotos are killing me. I love these photos. The boss of the neighborhood gave me a good chuckle. Great shot. Really fits this theme perfectly.
"Looking under their hats" Another Bugs Eye View from way below. This is a terrific image, wonderfully captured.

@Cavalier Photographing Birds has become a bit of a passion for me, so I really enjoy seeing these images. Geese are fun critters to capture, but I bet the
"Yosemite Valley Crow - always begging for whatever you have." was a real character. I'll wager you brought home some amazing images of Yosemite Valley.
My Favorite of your three. From Granddaughter's Maternity photos Wonderfully captured.

@Gatto **"Harvey" **I like this image for the purpose of this theme. It seems to fit the bill nicely. I am sorry that you had to be there when you captured this image.
Those were tough times, a nation was watching and praying.
**"Empty Sky Memorial" ** Speaking of a Nation watching - it is more like the World was watching. I have not seen this memorial. No words. Wonderfully executed image "A girl and a Phrog" This Cute little girl looks like she can be a handful.

@DavidRGillespie "Paddling in a kayak," Great Fun. Perfect for getting those low shots and your shots do not disappoint.
The first image is what caught my eye. Love the colors and the perspective. I could imagine the small mouth bass and northern pike fishing is amazing too.
Image number two, Murtle Lake, B.C Shot from the Tent. Such an inviting scene.

@bfluegie "Signs of spring, Round-lobed Hepatica (I think)" Lovely capture. I am Terrible with plant and animal names. This image conveys Springtime.
It is your other images that I really like. Under the pier, Hanalei Bay Kauai- Very creative. I like where your comp places the end of the pier.
That Cat! Beautiful image and beautiful animal. I can now see how a mouse see a cat...

@lkbart Glad you got your images in. Great Set. Bluebonnets are such a pretty flower and you have capture this on wonderfully. Looks like you had to get pretty Low.
Kitty in the Wild looks like a very Kautious Kitty. You see what I did there?
But "Kitty bringing a present! (it got away lol)" caught my eye. Fits the theme nicely, Lovely Capture. Kitty's Gift that Got Away great job..

Third Place goes to: @sarasphotos "Dragon Fly dance". this image definitely fits this theme. They are such flighty creatures. It looks like these DF's were willing participants.

Runner-Up Goes to: @pegelli for ** "Harvested corn field"** This image is lovely, caught my eye from the start. I like the Pano effect, The trees enveloped by the mist of morning(i assume). Well done image. Belongs on a wall somewhere.

My choice for Winner is: @Gatto "Empty Sky Memorial". This one is certainly hitting close to home. I remember that morning like yesterday. Love the Wide Angle approach. the City reflecting on those names. Wonderful image. satisfies all the "LOW DOWN" requirements. Well Done!

A few of my favorites deserve Honorable Mentions, There are more that I like, but this thread should have some limits.

@lkbart Cat bearing Gifts, that get away.

@DavidRGillespie For your Beautiful Kayak Image

@JAG for those beautiful Forget Me Not Flowers well executed

@bfluegie That CAT! Love this image. Looking so content.

@Gatto ****Looks like you are the next Host****. Looking forward to your next Challenge.

Most Every one of the images met the theme requirement wonderfully, a few not so much.
Thank you again and Don't forget to tip your waiter by hitting the Like button.
Shawn

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Congratulations, @shawnc for fun mini. It was wonderful seeing these images from a vantage point that I don't normally use. I am very jealous! Congratulations to all honorable mentions and third & second place. A special shout out to @Gatto first place for a superb shot.

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

This was an interesting mini and you didn't pick the photo of mine that I thought you would - I didn't think I was low enough in a wheelchair (although it was the best photo of the three). I've written a blog about the big events that everyone who was alive at the time remembers. For me it was the beginning off the Korean War, the Cuban missile crisis, Kennedy's assassination, the Moon Landing, and the massacre at the Munich Olympics, and a long time after that - 9-11. What will it be for today's children? Challenger? Hurricane Katrina?

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Thanks @shawnc for a fun challenge. You did have your work cut out for you. Congrats to @Gatto for the win and to all the runner ups and HM! Thank you for the HM and comments on my images. I look forward to seeing what @Gatto comes up with!

• Options
    DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Thank you @shawnc for a great mini. The images were great fun and very inspiring. Congratulations to @Gatto for the win, and @pegelli and @sarasphotos for second and third.

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins

@shawnc thanks so much for the third place and the nice comments. Congrats to @Gatto for the win and to @pegelli for 2nd. Many great images here - I'm sure glad I didn't have to judge!

• Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 737 Major grins

@shawnc Thanks for running a great mini, and thanks for the HM. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's great take on the theme. Congrats to @Gatto for taking first place with the awesome shot of the Empty Sky Memorial. It gave me chills. Also congrats to @pegelli for second place and to all the HMs.

~~Barbara
  • Options
    GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

WoW, thank you @shawnc for the great topic and thank you for choosing my entry as the #1 pick. Thank you also to all the participants that with your pictures push me to do better, in my eyes all of you are #1. I always look up to you for ideas and inspiration, even if I don't post much here I do follow the forum almost every day. I will try to get a new challenge up and running tonight.

Keep up the Good work.

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

Congrats with the win @Gatto, very poignant image for a well deserved win. Also congrats to @sarasphotos and the other HM's, quality was high and many entries made me smile or say wow! Thanks for all the comments @shawnc, as well as for a well run mini.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great mini @shawnc ! & fabulous choice of winner! Congrats to @Gatto for the win & to @sarasphotos & @pegelli for the runners up! And thanks for the HM & congrats to the other HMs!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/