Options

Mini Challenge #315 - "People working in public"

GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

This new challenge is about "People working in public."
The pictures must be of People in public during their working hours and that are not aware of you taking pictures of them or it is too late when they realize that, and continue to do what they were doing, and capturing their focus on something else but you, so no posing and no models of any kind :-)

Please post 3 of your best images.
This mini will last from 2 weeks, from 3/13thru 3/26/2021 10:00 pm Central Time
Here are a few examples to help you along

Gatto

"The Puppet Master" Iron worker on water tower

A cold ride in Central Park

Taxi Drivers waiting for fares in Varadero, Cuba

Golden Shower" Steel worker cutting steel

"Siesta" Beach vendor taking a break from the hot summer sun

Good luck and good shooting!
Please take a look at the unofficial rules here: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules#latest

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 14, 2021

Just to clarify so that everyone understands the difference between public and private businesses, the worker must be out in public space for it to be legal to post on this. So, inside businesses that are owned by someone, even if it is a franchise, is not legal to post if you do not have written consent from the workers and person who owns the business. That said, I did manage to find a few shots that qualify for this, after I had thought I didn't have any.

1 Stopping traffic

2 Road side stand (Egypt)

3 Stay back Bruges, Belgium (although I do not know if this one qualifies as the driver knew I was taking a picture as he was signaling to me to stay back. I wasn't in the way and wasn't planning on moving as I sat in my wheelchair taking the picture.)

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2021

Since for the last 14 years of my working life I was an OSHA inspector, I have a habit of taking photos of workers and scaffolding and ditches. I have a lot of photos of policemen - like this one. (I was told that the gendarmes from France could only serve a short time on Ste Martin because they got too chummy with the locals and would let things slide)

1. Gendarme on Ste Martin

I also have a lot of fishermen - shot from our boat

2. Fishermen on the Rappahannock

Ths is an old one (1964 in Spain)

3. The Ice Man Cometh

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options

@JAG said:
    Just to clarify so that everyone understands the difference between public and private businesses, the worker must be out in public space for it to be legal to post on this. So, inside businesses that are owned by someone, even if it is a franchise, is not legal to post if you do not have written consent from the workers and person who owns the business. That said, I did manage to find a few shots that qualify for this, after I had thought I didn't have any.

The Challenge Title is pretty clear "People working in public" it does not say "People working inside a business", but beside that, your statement it is not 100% accurate, Generally if a private property is open to the public (like a restaurant, retail store, tourist areas, etc) you are allowed to take photographs unless it is expressly posted on the premise that you can’t. In most cases it’s okay to assume you’re allowed to take pictures in a shop that doesn’t expressly forbid it. Keep in mind if a property owner (or store employee) tells you to stop, you have to stop. Always use good judgement and assess the situation and environment before snapping pictures even with your Cell-phone.
    You can’t use someone’s likeness without their express permission if you use that for commercial purposes. This means you can’t take a picture in a public place with recognizable faces and then sell it to a stock photo company or and AD company, you can however sell it to news organizations or use them for art. Also it is a good general rule that “If you can see it you can shoot it” and usually the Courts in USA will grant you the implied permission to take such Photos.

That said Have fun and great entry so far

Gatto

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2021

Here are my entries:

1) Washing the big top (well, not really a big top, but a pretty large tent for the County Fair) High atop the tent, in August with a hot wind blowing. :o

2) Before an Engine can leave base camp and return to the front lines of a fire, it first needs to be thoroughly cleaned of debris - outside and underneath. Hence the sprinkler's set up on the ground in the Engine's path.

3) Workers on the pop-up outdoor Supplies Warehouse for the American Wildfire Base Camp

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

"The Challenge Title is pretty clear "People working in public" it does not say "People working inside a business", "

Well I did wonder if people should be outside or if it was OK to have a photo of someone indoors. I have a photo of window washers inside the ramp to the ferries in New Orleans that I did not use - it was a public space, but indoors. It is also possible for people to be outside working, but be in a place that was restricted from public access. Like workers loading tuna at the docks in Ecuador - the docks are off limit to the public.

I also eliminated from consideration workers in the hospitality or travel industry - guides, people doing demonstrations for tour groups, people working on cruise ships (indoors or outdoors), etc.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

I think "Public" vs. "Private" is something different from "Outside" vs. "Inside", for me "Public" can both be "Outside" and "Inside"
    Secondly legislation on this topic varies (greatly) from country to country, so as long as everybody adheres to the laws/rules on this in their own country I think we'll be OK.

Here's my three submissions:

1) Busted

2) The safest square meter in the Antwerp railway station

3) Fixing the roof

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

It definitely is something we all should keep in mind when shooting. I just remember years ago, we had a challenge similar to this, I do not remember if it was a mini or one of the bigger challenges, but there was a heavy debate and people who got their nose bent out of shape. I just wanted to be sure that people think before they post. I agree, that we need to know our own country's laws.

• Options
    DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

I think a great rule of thumb is that a stranger should never be photographed in what could be an embarrassing or compromising position. I try to ask permission, even if it just by a wave of the camera and a nod.
    And yes, when traveling especially, you need to be familiar with the privacy laws and restrictions of the country you are visiting.

1. inflatable toy vendors, Otovalo market, Ecuador

1. oxcart and sugarcane, Cuba

1. Beach vendor at the end of the day, Mazatlan

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins

1) A set painter working on the "Magic Flute" production at the open air stage in Bregenz, Austria several years ago.

2) Putting up the Christmas "tree" in the Puerta del Sol, Madrid (under the watchful eye of Emperor Charles III)

3) Arranging clams at the market in Malaga, Spain

Not for consideration.... under the motto, "it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it"
    During the equestrian changing of the guard at the Royal Palace in Madrid

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2021

@sarasphotos said:

Not for consideration, but Sara's photo looked very familiar, and I think I was there (at another time oviously, when I was there the clams were a lot more expensive) :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options

@pegelli said:

@sarasphotos said:

Not for consideration, but Sara's photo looked very familiar, and I think I was there (at another time oviously) :)

That is so cool !!!

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Great & different theme! Thought I wouldn't have any, but found a few. I do have a lot of shots of professional dancers on stage working, but didn't seem like those would fit this theme well.
    Lots of great photos here - & how cool is that fish market, and how many years apart - looks like the same guy is still there, albeit a bit older now!

Pretzel maker

Horse wrangler

Stage manager

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins

@lkbart said:

Lots of great photos here - & how cool is that fish market, and how many years apart - looks like the same guy is still there, albeit a bit older now!

FYi: interestingly enough, Pieter and I realized that our photos were taken only about three weeks apart! :smiley:

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited March 27, 2021

Finally had time to look for photos that might fit this challenge and found two. Please don't consider them as entries though. Thanks! (Too much going on right now to fully participate, but appreciate this unique challenge and thought I'd share a couple of images.)

1) Food sampled in Kyoto, Japan
    We watched as these treats were being made and then went inside to sample them. We were with two Japanese friends and a Korean friend who had fond memories of eating this when he was growing up in South Korea.

2) Making Godiva chocolate in Brussels, Belgium

• Options

Ok folks the Challenge it is officially closed, I will post the results tomorrow.
    Thank you all for your great shots

.> @sapphire73 said:

Finally had time to look for photos that might fit this challenge and found two. Please don't consider them as entries though. Thanks!

why not ?

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

@Gatto said:

>

.> @sapphire73 said:

Finally had time to look for photos that might fit this challenge and found two. Please don't consider them as entries though. Thanks!

why not ?

@Gatto - I edited my post above and sent you a pm. Thanks!