Gatlinburg Aerial Twilight

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited December 4, 2020 in Landscapes

The nice thing about winter time sunsets in the mountains is that it gets dark pretty quickly once the sun drops. This was shot from my little camera bird, bracketed and blended. Enjoy!

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 5, 2020

^ Interesting perspective. Is this from the area where the elevated catwalks are located, or is that somewhere else in the town? I think I see the cables from the couple of cable car runs opposite where this was taken.

EDIT: I think I now see the catwalk attraction on the far right, lit up at night. Is this correct?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@David_S85 said:
    ^ Interesting perspective. Is this from the area where the elevated catwalks are located, or is that somewhere else in the town? I think I see the cables from the couple of cable car runs opposite where this was taken.

EDIT: I think I now see the catwalk attraction on the far right, lit up at night. Is this correct?

This is from just to the right and back from the new attraction, Anakista. The thing in the far right, stretching up the hill, is the chairlift and cable bridge at the top. Shot this at about 40mm (drone has a telephoto zoom lens)

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

That's a perspective of Gatlinburg I haven't seen before. That town is a funny place.....you either can't wait to get there or you choose to avoid it like the plague. The in-season crowds are overwhelming. If the best knife store in the world wasn't there, I would never get close to Gatlinburg. Still, I sure hate to see how the pandemic has caused so much grief to those folks there that are dependent on the tourism trade.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

We had made plans to visit Gatlinburg a decade and a half ago, but something came up and we cancelled the vacation. Looking back, that was the time to go, since it now seems like another Branson, MO. there (meaning it has jumped the shark). Smaller town values suffocating in all the tourism glitz. Looks like a spot for a family with young teenage kids to visit.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@David_S85 said:
    We had made plans to visit Gatlinburg a decade and a half ago, but something came up and we cancelled the vacation. Looking back, that was the time to go, since it now seems like another Branson, MO. there (meaning it has jumped the shark). Smaller town values suffocating in all the tourism glitz. Looks like a spot for a family with young teenage kids to visit.

@black mamba said:
    That's a perspective of Gatlinburg I haven't seen before. That town is a funny place.....you either can't wait to get there or you choose to avoid it like the plague. The in-season crowds are overwhelming. If the best knife store in the world wasn't there, I would never get close to Gatlinburg. Still, I sure hate to see how the pandemic has caused so much grief to those folks there that are dependent on the tourism trade.

I grew up not far from this town, about 30mi north. I never thought I'd see it become what it has today...which is an absolute shit show. So disappointing to drive through Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg...flashy lights, carnival circus garb, and tons of people littering all over the streets. My ancestors would be mortified to see the place now.

At one time, there was a plan to build a beautiful bypass around all of that, leading directly into the Smokies. TDOT worked diligently to build a project that had everything...sound barriers to keep the road noise in the roadway, tunnels for wildlife crossing, etc. When it came down to the wire, the upper powers shut it down, stating that they wanted every bit of the traffic to go right through those three little towns, so as to not miss out on revenue. What a shame.

Don't get me wrong, the area is lovely, just outside of the towns. But the people have changed as well. Everyone is fast, nothing is slow, and everyone acts like you're in their personal way, blocking their progress...whether it's walking, driving, or just looking at something pretty. This trip gave me great insight to the fact that I'll likely never live in TN again, nor will I likely patron Gatlinburg much ever again.

• GerritGerrit Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    Very nice overview in this picture!

Gerrit
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

this kind of photo is difficult (for me) to expose properly. This seems spot on. Good work.