Options

Is it just me?

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited July 23, 2004 in The Big Picture
Man, this kind of thing really burns me, and I'm a guy. I can only imagine what the women who contribute to DG think of something like this. I think it is insulting. What are they saying, a normal camera is too <insert adjective here> for females?? Gimme a break.

Sweet 'n Stylish - BenQ's E40 Digital Camera with a female touch

benqDCE40front-001.jpg
Europe, 19th of July, 2004 - BenQ announces the release of the BenQ DC E40 digital camera. Targeted at females, the E40 features an intuitive touch screen with photo framing and "scrawling" options and equipped with a 4 mega-pixel high sensitivity image sensor.

The E40 features BenQ's first and innovative touch screen design that allows photo personalization. Offering users more than just photo playback, the E40's touch screen allows users to choose from various built-in photo frames (also available to download at BenQ.com, E40 specifications link). Furthermore, you can also make creative "scrawling" directly on photos.

The BenQ E40 can also perform as an on hand mini movie recorder. With the most up-to-date compression technology MPEG4, the E40 provides superior movie quality with an economic memory card consumption allowing you to enjoy and review video shots numerously. The BenQ E40 is equipped with a long lasting Lithium-ion battery. Users may recharge the battery either with an adapter indoor or using an USB connected to a notebook outdoor. With its Dual Recharge Mode (DRM) recharging and power sustainability have never been so hassle free.

The BenQ E40 is designed to draw attention with its elegant cool red casing. A brushed metal sliding mechanism conveniently protects and allows for easy gripping of the camera. The E40 is now available for fun, fearless females.

Comments

• Options
    spinkspink Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    I don't really see what's wrong with marketing a camera to women. I mean I could see why it may "offend" some, but I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. Is it a good camera? Does it get more women intrested in photography? I think it looks like a cool little point 'n shoot and I woulnd't hesitate buying one someone, female or not, to tote around.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    Exactly my point. Is it a good camera? Would you buy one, female or not? It should be judged on it's own, not because some marketing dope thinks that women would like to be able to put frames around their photos.

I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. There was a similar thing where Saab (I think?) gave millions to a group of female employees and told them to go build a "female" car. They came back with a car that has swappable fabrics inside, "so you can change them to match the outfit you are wearing that day." And the engine compartment is completely unaccessible, it's bolted on and requires a trip to the dealer to get into. They re-routed the washer fluid tank to be right next to the fuel fill because washer fluid was the only reason a woman would look under the hood at the dirty engine compartment.

Maybe it's just me, but I know lots of women who change their own oil, air filters, etc. And they know a little bit about engines, too.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Exactly my point. Is it a good camera? Would you buy one, female or not? It should be judged on it's own, not because some marketing dope thinks that women would like to be able to put frames around their photos.

They re-routed the washer fluid tank to be right next to the fuel fill because washer fluid was the only reason a woman would look under the hood at the dirty engine compartment.

Maybe it's just me, but I know lots of women who change their own oil, air filters, etc. And they know a little bit about engines, too.

And a lot of men who don't! I understand what you're saying and agree. It's the stereotype-thing that's bothering me. I don't feel personally offended, but still.. The other way around is sometimes even more annoying; that you can actually surprise men by knowing how something technical works.
    I think it's gonna take a while to get this out of our system.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    Marketing
    DJ-S1 wrote:

So no one can do any type of focused marketing to a particular market segment because it might offend others? Is this political correctness run amok yet again? If there is a market for this camera it will sell. If not, it won't.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    Seems to me that one they they did to market the camera to women is to make it more attractive, using color. Nothing wrong with that. But if I like it, does that mean I'm gay? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    But if I like it, does that mean I'm gay? headscratch.gif

I think it would at least make you a MetroSexual. umph.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Seems to me that one they they did to market the camera to women is to make it more attractive, using color. Nothing wrong with that. But if I like it, does that mean I'm gay? headscratch.gif

Yep! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    ymca.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    OK, so maybe it really is just me! No biggie! :D

And Sid, there's nothing wrong with being in touch with your feminie side! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    Cool cameras
    wxwax wrote:
    But if I like it, does that mean I'm gay? headscratch.gif

Not if you convince/delude yourself that color is actually Ferrari Red. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I think it would at least make you a MetroSexual. umph.gifrolleyes1.gif

You busy tonight? naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You busy tonight? naughty.gif

Uhhhhhh, I changed my mind. You must be ymca.gifumph.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks Doc for finding that smiley.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Uhhhhhh, I changed my mind. You must be ymca.gifumph.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks Doc for finding that smiley.
    You're welcome, but I had to link it over from advrider... can anyone get that on the dgrin list???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    can anyone get that on the dgrin list???

Only the Great Bald One can do that. I don't have access to load the images to the server, I can change the names.

It would be nice if we could get the naughty.gif one too.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    Kyocera is going to offer a camera to match the color of your ipod mini. Match your camera and ipod mini today, don't be late. rolleyes1.gif

More here with photo, just in case you don't know which color to pick.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    It would be nice if we could get the naughty.gif one too.

When did we get the evil smile? or have I just been :snore ne_nau.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    When did we get the evil smile? or have I just been :snore ne_nau.gifclap.gif

Oh man, you are so yesterday. naughty.gif We've had it for at least a month, now. Probably got it during your last extended trip.
    Sid.
  • Options
    spinkspink Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    just asking for it arn't you.

I may be a little old fasion, but I see nothing wrong in promoting feminine products, err, I mean products such as this camera. I can understand how it may seem like a bad thing, but come on, how many things are marketed on strict facts alone? Smart consumers will do the research before buying, the others can keep eating grain like the rest of the sheep.