Mini Challenge #316 - Old Cars or Trucks - Restored or As New

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited March 29, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

It always irritates me when people take photos of old rusty deteriorating cars or trucks. Even though they are very photogenic rusting away. So this mini is about Old Cars that have been restored or they haven't been allowed to deteriorate. They don't have to be very old but I'd rather they be older than 20 years old. And you can also use photos of cars that were taken when they were new but 20 years ago. My preference is for cars made between 1930 and 1970. Three of your best photos of cars or trucks. The mini will run until Saturday April 17th. 6 pm Eastern Daylight Time.

Watsonville Antique Airplane Fly-in - 1965

Tour car in Yellowstone 2010

1932 Plymouth taken in 1964

Talladega Museum

Hershey Antique Auto Meet

Antique car meet in California

Old Hearse

Film set for remake of All the Kings Men - in 2004

1985 Mercedes 300D on a ferry in NC in 2004. My husband's daily driver

Local Veterans Day Parade

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

I am certainly not into cars as much as the next person, but I do have a few that are restored.

1 Lemon Yellow, found for sale in an obscure old garage in an old ghost town near Jerome Arizona.

2 Apple Red, was found on display at Marriot in Dana Point California

3 1964 "Herbie" VW Bug, found at Disneyland in Florida

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Love the woodie - even has surf boards

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Love this subject - I am a big fan of the earlier vehicle design- especially the fat-fender era (40's) and before. Here are my entries.

1) This is Daisy - our 1941 Chevrolet Deluxe - with a little added flaming.

2) A friend's 1939 Buick

3) A 1938 Delahaye 135 MS (Tours, France)

These are not for the mini, but wanted to brag on Daisy.

This is Daisy's engine area:

and this is a portrait of Daisy done by our friend and pro photog Dave Koontz (Fat Kat Photography)

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Lovely theme!

Jaguar E-type

Austin Healey

BMW Isetta

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

Absolutely brag on Daisy - glad I got to see her

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I don't take many pictures of cars, so I had to dig a bit for these. A couple were taken with my first, 2 MP digital camera.

1. Ford Model A Roadster

2. Model A Convention

3. 1936 Cord 810 Westchester sedan, "Moonshadow"

This was taken at the Auburn, Cord, Deusenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. I really liked the looks of this car but I couldn't get a view without the crowd control ropes or signs. So I settled for this "I'm about to die" cropped view. I don't know if museum shots are really within the intent of the challenge, but I was out of options.

~~Barbara
    edited March 31, 2021

Cars as sculpture - Museum shots are absolutely within the challenge. The red Plymouth in my post was in a museum

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins

Here's a few from the Woodward Cruise here in Michigan.

I've never seen an umbrella over an engine before.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Great subject for a mini.

1. A trio of Ford classics. Two Model A's and a Model T from a vintage car club rally that photobombed a picnic

1. Cadillac Model 30 - from the same event

1. "Plymouth Special Deluxe" - Taxi, Santiago de Cuba. The quotes are because that is what the exterior looks like, but who knows what other parts have been used to keep it running

I had been hoping to get some photos of the cars in Cuba - since I haven't been able to go.

Two more days

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2021

Oops, I almost forgot to enter!

1) Two old Citroën 2CV (Deux Chevaux) spotted on a bike ride in the vineyards near Saumur, France. While don't look as though they've been restored, they haven't been allowed to deteriorate so much that they're not drivable. I liked seeing them in their natural environment. Hope they fit the brief - if not I have other photos.

2) The "eye" of the Porsche. This was taken in the Porsche Museum in Gmünd, Austria and is one of the very first Porsches ever made. It's a 1948 Model 356, and hand made of aluminium hammered over a wooden form. Now that was craftsmanship!

3) Never leave home without the necessities... Taken at the annual car rally here in Augsburg, this 1959 MGA is (as you might guess) owned by a local brewery owner. (P.S. They make excellent beer! :) )

We rented a Citroen 2CV in 1964 - that's a great photo of them - Thanks Sara

• Wandering DaneWandering Dane Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins

@sarasphotos: in the spirit of truth, while the car in no.3 photo has some similarities with a Triumph TR3, the pictured car is in fact a late model Morgan, which in fact looks very much like early model Morgans as, appearance-wise, Morgans have changed very little since the 1950s.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@Wandering Dane said:
    @sarasphotos: in the spirit of truth, while the car in no.3 photo has some similarities with a Triumph TR3, the pictured car is in fact a late model Morgan, which in fact looks very much like early model Morgans as, appearance-wise, Morgans have changed very little since the 1950s.

Hey Dave, thanks for the tip! I labeled all of the cars that day from the entrants book and if you can read the purple sticker on the side of the car, it says "Ersatz" which means there was a last-minute substitution. I always thought it didn't quite look like the MGs I knew.

Challenge is closed - Thanks everyone for your entries