Glasses

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

Is there a way to get rid of the glare on the glasses?

Comments

• BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins

I assume you mean in camera, not with retouching, right? With a light source fairly straight on, most glasses are going to reflect. Sometimes (particularly with lenses with non-reflective coating or weaker prescriptions), just a small adjustment like angling them slightly downward will do the trick. Or you need to move your light source off axis (sides or high in the air) so that the reflections aren't visible from your straight-on view.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Also, if you have them face a white wall and move off axis, there will be very limited reflection

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

It really is all about the angle. Keeping the glare off glasses is my biggest challenge when shooting people. I just have to angle the light or angle my subject so that the light isn't creating that glare.

If that seems impossible or if I can't seem to "make it work", I will take a picture of the subject without their glasses and then do a little photoshop magic to cut out the glass & glare from the glasses and replace it with the the same area from the no glasses pic. It's more work and I hate doing it, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

Sherry P.

• bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins

Removing it very hard because you are essentially replacing the light with what is supposed to be there, and that is challenging, detail work. If you have other images to sample from, would make it less challenging.

"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited April 12, 2023

There's an old trick that works pretty well for eyeglasses reflections; hairspray the lenses. The hairspray acts as a dulling agent to greatly reduce the problem. The above suggestions to spread the lights and have the subject(s) tilt their heads down a bit also work well. It's also permissible to remove the lenses from the frames.

After the photo session, just rinse the lenses under warm water to remove the hairspray.

Notes, some hairsprays work better than others for dulling reflections. There are commercial products for photographic use, but make sure to buy "temporary" dulling spray and test it on a cheap glass or plastic surface first. You don't want to accidentally damage someone's expensive eyeglasses!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I'm not sure my solution to the problem will work here. However, when I'm shooting subjects behind glass ( window displays, framed art work, etc. ) I use a circular polarizer on my lens and in most cases the glare disappears. Might be worth a try.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.