Options

Changing up equipment opinions

MouseMouse Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
edited April 29, 2021 in Cameras
I have a Canon 7D. I have the following lenses: Tamron 17-50 mm F2.8, Canon 100 mm Macro 2.8 is, Canon75-200 2.8 EF zoom and a Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 is zoom lens. I take primary animal/bird pictures and plants and flowers (Macro). I find I don't use the 100-400 often because the low light capability (or lack of it). Often in woods etc. Also find it a little heavy for what I do. Love the 75-200. Love the Macro. Don't use the Tamron much at all. I like the wider view but the need just doesn't present itself (I find my iPhone does nice picture on vacation etc.)
My backpack is just too heavy with this equipment and I wouldn't mind trading in the 100-400 and the 17-50 mm Tamron.
Is there a better option for the Tamron for those cases I can use a wider field. Are there new lighter weight lenses today that are equal or better to what I have?
Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited April 30, 2021

In Canon crop format, I have both a Canon EOS 7D (first version) and an EOS 80D, plus I bought 2 - EOS M50 mirrorless bodies more recently.

I had been using an older Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM as my super-wide APS-C lens for architecture, interiors and vista landscapes. It's a pretty good lens but I decided to keep it as a backup and replace it with a Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM. (It adapts to the M50 bodies using a Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, preserving autofocus accuracy and speed, and IS function as well.) It's definitely a "kit" lens with no weather seals and a plastic mount, but optically it performs nicely.

I don't have anything using the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM worth showing, but PBase has some examples.

The-Digital-Picture.com has a good review for the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM:
    https://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-18mm-f-4.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JethTranJethTran New member Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2021
    On the off chance that a 7D would serve your requirements several years (say) then, at that point I'd say proceed with the maintenance. Nearly all that mechanical would be new, and the hardware doesn't age essentially so you would have something near another camera. I'm accepting that it's not very pummeled - assuming it will be, it very well may be an ideal opportunity to scrap it.

Assuming you were at that point intending to redesign, that is an extreme call, since you would need to do it sooner than anticipated andpay a more exorbitant cost with no 7D to balance it. I don't know anyone can answer that for you.