RESULTS: Mini-Challenge #317: Signs of Spring

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited May 5, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

This was a really fun mini - I loved the variety of the entries and the different takes on springtime experiences. I'll make my comments in the order that the entries were posted.

@JAG your photos were a great and unique start, seeing as how Spring in Alaska is different than what most of us experience. Your set told a good story, from the patch of sunshine in the "Moving snow line" to the vivid green on the birch trees in #2 and the road construction in the third.

@pegelli a lovely set - reminiscent of what I experience, from the forest pathway in #1 to the blossoming trees in #2 and the nesting swan in #3. I must say though, that your swan made a much tidier nest than the swan family that I've been watching and photographing for the past couple of years. :-)

@shawnc I had a good chuckle at your first shot "Love is in the air" a great capture of the pigs, with nice detail. Although I really liked the subject matter and crop and framing of pictures 2 & 3, for my taste (on my monitor?) they were both a bit on the dark side - perhaps too much vibrance or saturation?

@grandmaR all of yours brought a smile to my face, especially #1 "King's Day". Your #3 "Easter Egg hunt" was another photo that for me really captured the Spring spirit.

@Cavalier What nice choices you made. I really like how you captured the mist hovering over the thundering river (Toulumne? American? Merced?) water - I could practically hear the water rushing by. For me your stand-out shot was #3 - the poppies in full bloom. Wow - they look like an orange carpet!

@bfluegie What can I say - these three shots pushed all the right buttons for me. Well composed, nicely exposed, screaming "SPRING!". In the second shot I was very slightly bugged by the dark green branches intruding in the foreground, but I don't suppose that could be helped...

@lkbart Another part of the country, another perspective - I love it! In the first shot I might have liked to see a bit more sky to enhance the sense of space. Photo #3 was impressive - I love how the drape of the egret's feathers mirrors the moss (?) hanging from the trees.

@DavidRGillespie Three great expressions of the season. #1 with the red alder is lovely and peaceful and the "Easter Bunny" in #2 is just a wonderful, joyful composition with the purple and pink popping out of the pale green of early spring. #3 is breathtaking - great capture at just the right moment (and this year we had way too many April showers where I live!).

Now for the difficult part... there were winners galore here but I had to make a choice, so here goes...

3rd Place: TIED
@pegelli "A walk in the woods" I could smell the forest.

@shawnc "Love is in the air" awww...

2nd Place
@bfluegie "Pond loop trail" Uplifting!

1st Place
@DavidRGillespie "April showers" I could feel my feet getting wet in the grass.

Thank you all for making the judging difficult - there were so many fine entries it was really a tough choice.

David, I'll hand it over to you - looking forward to the next challenge.

Comments