Accidental black and white

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Occasionally I visit our botanical garden, particularly in spring when a lot of succulents are in flower. I visited recently. I discovered after I arrived that I'd inadvertently put my infrared camera into the bag instead of my standard camera. I had to forget about photographing spring color and look for contrasty subjects. The mistake actually forced me to look at my surroundings in a different way.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

3 for me, Don. I'm intrigued by the first one. As you see it, I'd crop from the right margin just enough to hide the white strip and from the left margin enough to hide the dark area at top left. Then I'd rotate it to a horizontal landscape image. Blown big, it would be dramatic.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Thanks for the comment, Tom. Don't know about you but I see photos here against a black background. In this instance, that makes it difficult to see that there are dark gray areas on the left and right side of the third one.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Gorgeous set Don, the first two for me. I think Tom's cropping suggestion refers to the first shot, there's a thin clear strip on the right,.if you cropped it you would get a nice natural dark frame around the lighter area in the center.

Thanks very much, Cristobal. Yes, I meant the first one too and said third one. Duh.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

First 2 are EPIC! Last one is fine too but BG is fighting hard with fg. Cheers Don

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I like 1 and 2 and agree with the crop on no. 1

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Taz, willard, thanks for the comments.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Don...

Wonderful work and rendering in B&W.

A great lesson...I suspect that we might be surprised if one time, we purposely left our "go to" kit at home and tried shooting with an alternative lens, setting, f-stop, time-of-day, HDR, etc., we might be surprised (and delighted) with the images we come home with.

Thanks for sharing this presentation of contrasty subjects. Well taken and presented.

Thanks, Gato. I think you're right about leaving our routine behind.