Looking for crop suggestions

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I like the textures in this shot as well as the straight lines the dune creates, but I can't settle on a crop that is appealing to the eye... Ideas? You are more than welcome to download it and go to town on it.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

You're wearing me out, buddy. If anything, I'd start at the point where the two lines of the dunes meet near the top. Go straight down from that point to form the left side of the image. Also from that point, go straight across to the right margin. From there, go down that right margin to where the water and the dunes meet, run a straight line left to intersect that new left margin you created. The resulting image will assume more of a pano appearance resulting in about equal amounts of water and sand. That's about the best I can come up with. I'm heading to bed now....maybe I'll dream about a field of lollipops.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    1. Inch from bottom

2. Right 40-45% as is....bit squarish crop

3. Top right corner in a way where you have 2 perfect triangles above each other, equal and and on top of each other

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I didn't find a crop I really liked. This is probably what I would do. Taz's third suggestion may be similar.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2021

If you take Don's crop: Go down the right margin until the point where water and sand first meet, draw a straight horizontal line all the way left, start a vertical line down from the top margin at the point where water and sand first meet, where the vertical line and horizontal line intersect will be the bottom left corner of the image That's exactly what my suggestion was. You end up with a balanced image, equal parts of sand and water separated by the line running from the top left corner diagonally down to the bottom right corner. Obviously, my predilection is for symmetry. It's a curse I have to put up with. I'm glad, Cristóbal, that you're not afflicted with such hindrances. .

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Don killed it!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2021

Thanks for the ideas guys. I played with it some more and came up with these... this is coming from a guy not afflicted by the tyranny of symmetry...

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

"This is coming from a guy not afflicted by the tyranny of symmetry." My neurosis is straight lines. In my crop I straightened the image so that the waves in the water were more nearly horizontal. :)

@Cornflake said:
    "This is coming from a guy not afflicted by the tyranny of symmetry." My neurosis is straight lines. In my crop I straightened the image so that the waves in the water were more nearly horizontal. :)

Point taken and I agree with you. Oddly enough, all shots are aligned with the horizon, once you loose that reference, the waves do seem out of whack.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Here’s my stab at it

I like the direction of this. Thanks.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Cristóbal...

Wonderful creativity and pushing boundaries once again.

Maybe to put a point on this as each has a different perspective of an eye catching, "good crop" ...taking words from that singer-songwriter and philanthropist, Harry Chapin...

"No straight lines make up my life;
    And all my roads have bends; "

Great work! 👍🏼

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Here’s my stab at it

That was my thought also.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Thanks!

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2021

I viewed this one again and came up with a slightly different take on your image.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!