Luxury Oceanfront Lifestyle Production - Sony a7Siii high dynamic range

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Aloha everyone,

Today I'm sharing a recent project where we needed to tell another story of how a property lives. The project itself was pretty large for the small size of our media company, but a great intro to bigger budget productions and we now have a scope of moving forward with marketing such work.

Aside from al of that, I was so happy to put these little a7Siii bodies to the real-world test of exposing for skin tones, but retaining max dynamic range, via log recording (Slog3.cine). Only one scene (opening living room door wall) required a bit of gentle fill. Everything else was shot under natural / available ambient lighting.

Post production notes -

Everything was worked in Final Cut Pro, from color to sound design. Because the first part of our day was quite overcast and drab, I had to push the color contrast a bit more than I had before, helping to make the scenes feel a little more like soft morning tropical, and less like PNW noon in February.

Added VFX: Sun glow & flare in 1st aerial scene (to match natural flare in 2nd aerial scene, as well as warm up the scene), steam in coffee (the stove couldn't actually boil that pot, because it's a fancy system requiring it's own special cookware. So we used cold tap water with a plan for post-addition of steam)

I wanted to add a unicorn or a narwhal but the client wouldn't have it, sorry guys.

Ok, here's the link. Best heard with decent sound.

Enjoy & Mahalo for viewing!

-Jonathon

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 8, 2021

Well, that was breathtaking! Great job. I need a raise so I can buy that. Then another one to pay the yearly taxes. Oh, I just looked that house up in Zillow. Raises wouldn't help.

Were those people hired models?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@David_S85 said:
    Well, that was breathtaking! Great job. I need a raise so I can buy that. Then another one to pay the yearly taxes. Oh, I just looked that house up in Zillow. Raises wouldn't help.

Were those people hired models?

Bahahaha, you and I are in the same situation my friend...raises won't even make a dent!

Thanks for the compliment, and for taking time to watch & comment :smiley: The people were indeed hired talent, sourced specifically to match the desired demographic market. Client wanted to show how the home lived, using a young / wealthy / professional family, showing diversity. Entire project time was bout 30hrs total, from first consultation to finished product. Shoot time was 12hrs (single day).

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

You're ready for Hollywood, dude. Seriously!! :open_mouth:

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@kdog said:
    You're ready for Hollywood, dude. Seriously!! :open_mouth:

Wow, that's a pretty tall compliment, thank you!