Beating the heat

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet! Lovely mood and comp!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2021

@Stumblebum said:
    Sweet! Lovely mood and comp!

Thanks, brother. This is Porpoise Point....across the inlet from St. Augustine and the fort. You have to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to get there. The fine, soft sand and....even more treacherous....finely ground coquina shells have stranded hoards of folks who ignore the signs warning about getting stuck without 4-wheel drive. I've saved a few myself. I know one guy who shows up every weekend just to rescue other's vehicles. He charges $25 a pop. it's not uncommon for some of those idiots to get stuck more than once trying to escape the place.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh wow. I have been stuck in sand in Hawaii and know well how that sucks. I also got rescued by a guy who just patrols the beaches for that purpose alone for a small fee.

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

I remember in the 60's, driving on the Coco beach but the sand was not a problem the here..

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
    edited July 13, 2021

@OrvSal said:
    I remember in the 60's, driving on the Coco beach but the sand was not a problem the here..

Hey, Orv. The beach sand you could drive on at Daytona, Ormand Beach, Coco Beach, etc., was easily accessed and pretty hard-packed. At Porpoise Point, the trek..... to get to where you see the cars and tents set up..... takes you on a winding path through long stretches of deep, powdery sand and vicious patches of crushed coquina shells that are even harder to deal with.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice shot, what I like the most is the low angle. It captures a mood very effectively.

@Juano said:
    Nice shot, what I like the most is the low angle. It captures a mood very effectively.

Thanks, buddy. I was kneeling when I shot this. In an awkward move to stand up, I fell over backwards, My wife caught a shot on her cell phone of me lying prostrate in the surf with my right arm extended straight up, holding the camera above the swirling water. It was not my finest hour.

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

@black mamba said:

@OrvSal said:

Hey, Orv. The beach sand you could drive on at Daytona, Ormand Beach, Coco Beach, etc., was easily accessed and pretty hard-packed. At Porpoise Point, the trek..... to get to where you see the cars and tents set up..... takes you on a winding path through long stretches of deep, powdery sand and vicious patches of crushed coquina shells that are even harder to deal with.

Those were the days my friend, thought they would never end! but they did. Memories last forever.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

:smile: > @black mamba said:

@Juano said:

Thanks, buddy. I was kneeling when I shot this. In an awkward move to stand up, I fell over backwards, My wife caught a shot on her cell phone of me lying prostrate in the surf with my right arm extended straight up, holding the camera above the swirling water. It was not my finest hour

At least you have something to show for your misfortune! :)

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Terrific! You were right to get down to take it.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Aah, Tom, you need to get a camera with a fold out screen like mine so you don't have to humiliate yourself. 😂

@Cornflake said:
    Terrific! You were right to get down to take it.

Thanks, Don. I happen to have shot it 3 times, varying the height perspective each time. This one was quickly obvious as being the better image. Take care.

@sarasphotos said:
    Aah, Tom, you need to get a camera with a fold out screen like mine so you don't have to humiliate yourself. 😂

Well, Sara, my story gets worse. The camera I was using that day has a wonderful fold out screen feature ( Nikon D7500 ). Honestly, I've never used that feature. I love the camera, but I didn't often use it because I just prefer a camera with more heft....something that seemed to fit my hand better. Then the optional accessory battery pack for the D7500 became available.....much better suited to me now, more to grab hold of, and I use it more frequently

incidentally, my wife kindly agreed to zap that picture of me in my moment of distress. I knew what would happen. That picture would have made great fodder on the party circuit. I didn't want to deal with that.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

This is a good POV, Tom, I like it

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@willard3 said:
    This is a good POV, Tom, I like it

Thanks, Will.