Mini Challenge #321 Scenic trails and roads

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

It’s been a bit over 3 years since we’ve had something similar, so since I am planning a couple of fall trips that will include some day hikes, I decided that I also had my theme for the upcoming challenge.

When I’m hiking I usually take at least one “along the way” photo of the trail. I don’t always include them in the final exported photos of the trip, but I do keep them around to remind me of the experience of the hike. For trails, I will include unpaved, paved, boardwalk, stairs, garden paths, and pretty much anything else I may have missed. People, pets, and wildlife using the trails are fine. Urban sidewalks can make for compelling photos but I think the surroundings would have to be something special to qualify as scenic. For roads, I mostly want as stated in the title of the theme, roads through scenic vistas, preferably without much traffic. A car or two to emphasize traveling is OK, but no traffic jams. While I sometimes enjoy photos of headlight and taillight trails, that’s not really what I’m looking for in this challenge. Again, a specific photo with these features may work, but it would have to be something special (for example a single classic car in Monument Valley with taillight trails).

Here are a few examples:

(trail is left of waterfall)

I just realized, all my examples include fall colors, even the one with snow (it was October). That’s coincidence, not a requirement.

This mini will close at 9PM EDT Monday July 26.

And if you haven't participated before, please take a look at the un-official rules here:
https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules#latest

~~Barbara

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2021

Great idea. I will start looking.....
    I got up to 75 candidates and stopped. I winnowed it down to 10 and finally ended up with these three.
    1. Maclay Gardens in Tallahassee ( Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park) - Bob walking ahead of me. It was May (the end of the bloom season) and Bob wasn't prepared for it to be cold in Florida in May

2. The Wet Mountain Valley in Colorado in December - (a digitized slide)

3. A road in Cornwall

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Nice theme, here's my three

1) Along the canal towards Herentals (Belgium)

2) Fall colours in park Schildehof

3) Winter walk

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2021

Wonderful idea for a mini and lovely example shots - and great entries from Pieter and @grandmaR too!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Thanks for getting us started @grandmaR and @pegelli. Sara @sarasphotos, when I thought of the theme, I had the feeling it was done before. So I checked and found out that Gretchen @sapphire73 had used the theme in January 2018. I decided three and a half years was long enough that a repeat was OK. I hope so since it's too late to change at this point.

~~Barbara
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

The 2018 Challenge was just Roads, Paths and Trails. This one is Scenic Trails and Roads. There is a subtle difference.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins

Tennessee

Sun Valley

Hawaii

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2021

Here are my three:

Monitor Pass, California

Hoh Rain Forest, Washington

Merced River Canyon - West entrance to Yosemite - during Poppy Bloom

Excellent entries @dlscott56 and @Cavalier. They are just what I was looking for.

~~Barbara
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

I'm back from my trip! Great challenge Barbara! Here is my 3...

1 Forest trail in Fairbanks

2 Into the sunset (Seward Hwy Alaska)

3 Snowy drive home (my driveway)

Great entries Joyce, and welcome back.

~~Barbara
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2021

I, too had lots of "path, trail, road" pictures to winnow through - here are three of my favorites from our travels: (Barbara, please let me know if any of these are not what you're looking for.)

1) Near the Stubai Glacier in Tirol, Austria. We drove to the end of this valley where there's a charming alpine restaurant with beautiful views from the balcony.

2) Evening walk in the Dolomites in northern Italy (Alta Badia)

3) Riding through the vineyards towards Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Thanks for the entries Sara. They're right on theme--trails, roads, paths, etc. through scenic places.

There are two days and a couple of hours left to enter.

~~Barbara
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins
    1. Manning Park in winter

1. Soggy trail in Patagonia (yes, there really is a trail there!)

1. Alpine trail, Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park, BC

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited July 26, 2021

Here are a few more entries for this fun challenge.

1) Road through Hard Knott Pass, UK

2) Trail in Joshua Tree National Park, USA

3) Path in New Zealand

Great entries @DavidRGillespie and @sapphire73.

For anyone else who has been waiting to enter, there are just a few more hours left. Then my work begins. It's going to be tough...

~~Barbara

This mini is now closed. I will have the results up in a day or two.

~~Barbara