Dune + edits

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
edited August 4, 2021 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

I don't know about the band in bottom Cristobal. I would crop it out completely if mine. The rest of it is fantastic! Cheers!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    I don't know about the band in bottom Cristobal. I would crop it out completely if mine. The rest of it is fantastic! Cheers!

Exactly my thoughts as well. Doing so leaves a stunning image. Good work, buddy.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Yeah, I also was pondering. Will crop it. Thanks 😊

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 29, 2021

If you crop the top so that there's no sky on the right edge instead, it looks like something from the movie Independence Day.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Wonderful B+W Cristóbal, well taken!

@Richard said:
    If you crop the top so that there's no sky on the right edge instead, it looks like something from the movie Independence Day.

Thanks Richard good to hear from you!

@El Gato said:
    Wonderful B+W Cristóbal, well taken!

Thanks Gato.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Love the lines and contrast, Cristóbal

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Wow! I like it as is, But, Taz, and Toms suggestion has merit also. I like the subtle shades of light in the bottom band that create shape, and show the traces of texture. If you crop the bottom my suggestion would be to crop down from the top, a bit less than half of the sky.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

@roaddog52 said:
    Wow! I like it as is, But, Taz, and Toms suggestion has merit also. I like the subtle shades of light in the bottom band that create shape, and show the traces of texture. If you crop the bottom my suggestion would be to crop down from the top, a bit less than half of the sky.

I tried Phil's suggestion about adding cropping from the top. You end up with a semi-pano image that's really dynamic. I love it either way.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Good one, Cristobal.

Thanks everyone. I am away from my editing software early next week I will post a couple of ideas.

Many thanks

edited August 4, 2021

As promised, here are a couple of versions.

Naked

With a sliver of grounding

Liking both. Naked still ahead in my view! Cheers!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 4, 2021

Agree. The "Naked" version says more, but with less. You can see that it is in fact, still a dune even without the base dark ground below. It elevates ;) the pic to high-contrast abstract artwork -- essentially turning it all into negative (or positive?) space. It could also lose just a little of the top to tighten it up a bit. Either way, you have a winner with the "Naked" version.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@David_S85 said:
    Agree. The "Naked" version says more, but with less. You can see that it is in fact, still a dune even without the base dark ground below. It elevates ;) the pic to high-contrast abstract artwork -- essentially turning it all into negative (or positive?) space. It could also lose just a little of the top to tighten it up a bit. Either way, you have a winner with the "Naked" version.

David's idea of shaving a little off the top, in addition to the bottom crop, is exactly what Phil had suggested. By doing so, the dunes appear to be stretched a bit horizontally......creates a really outstanding photo.

Naked 2.0 a more pano version.

Yes sir, buddy. This image belongs in a high-end gallery. There's one major issue, however. the light part of the dunes has now developed vertical lines where light and dark areas meet. It's an unusual pattern not seen in the other copies.

@black mamba said:
    Yes sir, buddy. This image belongs in a high-end gallery. There's one major issue, however. the light part of the dunes has now developed vertical lines where light and dark areas meet. It's an unusual pattern not seen in the other copies.

+100

Thanks guys, Tom I'm not seeing what you are seeing, can you be more specific? Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

My monitor shows distinct vertical lines present where the dark and light areas meet near the top of the peak. These lines are of consistent width, somewhere between an eighth and sixteenth of an inch wide, and they are spaced about the same consistent distance apart. It's a consistent pattern. The lines are fairly faint.....no where near as dark as the black portion. I sure hope that this is an aberration of my monitor. In total, I see about 13 of these lines before they fade off into the left white area. The lines do not appear in the dark area. Again, they only appear near the top portion of the dune peak.

News Flash!!!! I just fired up my two other computer systems. Neither one of those monitors shows these lines on your image. Hooray. Like I said, Cristóbal, it's a killer image worthy of praise.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Absolutely agree with Tom. I can picture this hanging in a high end gallery! Love it!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Thank you everyone for the comments and crop suggestions. I think the end result is much better.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Soooo much betterer. B) Images like these are why one can throw out the Rule of Thirds whenever the Rule of Thirds is useless - which happens a lot.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Minimal in all the right ways. I think you got to the right result.

@Cornflake said:
    Minimal in all the right ways. I think you got to the right result.

Many thanks, Don.

• JTP22JTP22 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins

Fantastic!

Joel

@JTP22 said:
    Fantastic!

Joel

Thanks Joel, welcome to the forum!

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Thanks for bringing this to the top of recent again, otherwise I may have missed it! This (especially the latest "naked 2.0") is truly stunning art, Cristobal, and I do agree with previous comments that it belongs hung up in a Gallery. Can't get enough of it :)

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

@kurzvorzwoelf said:
    Thanks for bringing this to the top of recent again, otherwise I may have missed it! This (especially the latest "naked 2.0") is truly stunning art, Cristobal, and I do agree with previous comments that it belongs hung up in a Gallery. Can't get enough of it :)

Thanks K, this is what Dgrin does best, provide constructive criticism that often results in a better result.

Yes, sometimes things get lost in the rubble...