Mini Challenge #323 - Up the down staircase

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited August 16, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

As far as I can see, I've actually found a topic that hasn't previously been used for a mini, that is stair steps and stairwells. Though I personally don't have tons of photos of them I often find they tell an interesting story. So let's see those stair pictures: inside or outside, up or down, old or new, peopled or unpeopled, but the stair steps or stairwell should be the main subject, not a person or any other architectural feature.

This mini will run until Wednesday, September 1, 9am PDT

Here are a few examples:

And if you haven't participated before, please take a look at the un-official rules here:
https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules#latest

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 17, 2021

Well this is a fine pickle I am in! stairs are my nemesis as I cannot go up or down without a lift. Not sure if I have 3, but let's see....
    These are the only stairs I can find:
    1 Steps of a fountain (Petersburg, Russia)

2 Teak wood staircase (Maasdam Holland American cruise ship)

3 Bird on stairs (Frederiksted, St. Croix)

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@JAG Thanks for starting out!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2021

I love the Maasdam. I don't know if it survived the pandemic.
    Stairs are my nemesis too. I once asked for a room without steps, and there were no steps - but there was one STEP.

Anyway after I eliminated ladders, here is what I came up with.
    1. Florida lighthouse (which I did climb - one of the last lighthouses I climbed)

2. Then and Now "Welcoming Arms" staircase of the Historical Society in St. George Bermuda - the staircase tapers as it goes up. A long time ago, I heard the story that it was so someone could stand at the top and defend the door - only one person at a time could get to the top of the stairs. (which doesn't sound very welcoming.) The photo on the right was taken in 1963; the one on the left in 2007

1. Climbing the turret in Sintra Portugal in 1964

I thought of this photo when you set this challenge, but I wasn't sure if it was a stairway or just a really pebbly path (Cornwall) So it isn't for the mini - just something of interest.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2021

Great theme Sara, maybe also a good subject for the Themed Threads :)

Heres my 3 (I like "contrasting" entries ;)):

1: The beautiful and famous "Tulip Stairs" in the Queen's house in Greenwich

2: Probably the most derelict stairs I've seen, Fort de la Chartreuse in Liège

3: Emergency stairs

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@grandmaR & @pegelli Thank you both for the swell entries!

Up the Down Staircase was a movie with Sandy Dennis based on a novel c 1966. When I was in junior high, we actually had staircases designated Up and Down. I got in trouble for going Down the Up Staircase. The teacher at the top told me to go down, and the teacher at the bottom caught me. As I remember, I burst into tears and said that the other teacher had told me to go down the Up staircase.

I remember that movie!

Although I'm loving all the entries so far, it's time for some more, so come on folks, did out your stair pictures or better yet, take some new ones! One more week in this mini.

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

So this is the staircase in my home, built & mostly designed by my husband, baluster design by me (apparently there are hundreds of woodworking steps for each section, 8 sections - he took it as a challenge).

First fitting

Looking down

Newel post view

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Wow, that's one gorgeous staircase! Kudos to you both for such fine work.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Apparently I don't do stairs. I looked through my entire catalog of digital photos and I was barely able to come up with three examples. One of the ones below is from my first, 2 MP digital camera. They aren't great, but they're what I have.

1. The Mist Trail, Yosemite National Park

2. Nojoqui Falls Trail, California

3. Ricketts Glen Waterfall Loop Trail (a particularly steep part of the trail)

~~Barbara

We took the Mist Trail back in 1965 in the spring. The falls were full of water and the rocks were slippery. I slipped and fell - I fell on my daughter who was ahead of me on the trail. Her face was skinned up and her front baby teeth were knocked and turned black.

@bfluegie Barbara, thanhs for the three fine entries!

Remember all, there's only one more day to enter!

• KerrphotosKerrphotos Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins

A
    Aberdeen Beach
    Stairs leading to the beach

• KerrphotosKerrphotos Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins

Spiral stairs Glasshouse
    Edinburgh Scotland

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited September 1, 2021

Finally had a few minutes to look through my photos and found a few that seem to fit this mini theme.

1) Staircase in Old Lyon (where the secret passageways were used by the French Resistance in WW2)

2) Stairs in South Korea (southern part of the country)

3) Somewhere in the French Rivieria

An extra not an entry for this challenge because the focus is the gates rather than the steps.

Fushimi Inari Shrine, also known as the Red Gate Shrine (near Kyoto, Japan)

@Kerrphotos & @sapphire73 Thank you both for entering and making my decision more difficult.

THe mini is now closed. I should have the results up in the next day or two.