SmugMug Windows Uploader has created 2 Windows Auto Upload Folders.

flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins

Please see the attached image.

Dual Folders

As you can see the Windows auto uploader program has created 2 folders, one of which is password-protected, one which is not.

Both of them contain different subfolders and galleries and are a mess of nested folders. I have double and triple-checked the folders I am uploading and they are nicely organized and should have been mirrored on the site but the auto uploader seems to have had a mind of its own at some point.

One folder is set to private, and the one with the lock icon has a password on it.

In some cases, in both folders, a new folder is created containing a gallery of images, and then further down under that folder is a different gallery of images from the same folder on my windows machine.

Same gallery, 2 different places.

Interestingly none of the files seem to be duplicated, they just uploaded to random different locations.

You can also see that the uploader is uploading the $RECYCLE.BIN file. I would have thought the devs would have ensured to ignore that folder.

I hate to have to go through and manually sort all of this just to have the uploader come through and smash it all up again.

Is there a better way to doing things here with the SmugMug uploader other than selecting the folders I want as per the documentation and letting the site folders be auto-created and maintained by the program?

My only other thought is to use an automation system to move the files I want to be uploaded to Smugmug to a single folder and have the auto uploader only watching that single folder and uploading as required, but then that defeats the purpose of the organization.

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Comments

• flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins

Since I hate it when people post a question, figure it out, and then do not update, I am back here to upate.

The Windows Auto Upload folder created by the app is set to private automatically, which makes sense. If you change that to a different setting and add a password (hence the lock icon), then the auto uploader can no longer upload to the folder, as such, it creates new ones.

As for the random duplication of folders, no clue, in some cases, if you go over 5k images it just creates a new folder of the same name with a number behind it, but that is not what happened here.

And as for the recycle bin, I assume since I have "show hidden files and folders" turned on in Windows it sees the recycle bin and tries to upload it, I will have to figure out a way to hide just that folder. Or just toggle the setting as needed.

• JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee

If you have further concern about this, reach out to the Support Heroes, help@smugmug.com so they can look into it further and also be able to view the account to have more clarity as to the situation you have described.

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins

@Jenuine said:
    If you have further concern about this, reach out to the Support Heroes, help@smugmug.com so they can look into it further and also be able to view the account to have more clarity as to the situation you have described.

Will do. I have some other issues between this and the app, but I want to gather more data before sending a support request.

Thank you.

• JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee

Sounds like a plan. We will be ready when you write.

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero