Asia's Yanze River Basin seen from space.

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Maybe I've had too much grog. That's actually the muddy bottom at low tide under my in-laws' dock on the Intracoastal Waterway in St. Augustine. That's its true color. Wicked stuff.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely Tom!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2021

Hey, Taz. You know, brother, we on the forum learn a lot from your comments and critiques. But, in our effort to become better photographers, we can also learn from studying your work. Many of us are waiting for you to take up the camera again. I realize that there's a bunch of BS going on in the world now and it's easy to get side-tracked. However, when you're as good at this stuff as you are, it's understandable that many of us really miss your photo contributions.

Take care, my friend.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

True color? that must be as toxic as it looks!

edited September 16, 2021

@Juano said:
    True color? that must be as toxic as it looks!

Yup, true color. Several years ago, some of the family and myself had to rebuild a portion of the 90 ft. dock due to hurricane damage. Replacing topside planking for walking was a breeze. Putting down new replacement support posts was a nightmare. You had to get down into that goop while using a water hose to help seat the posts. We worked in that godawful slime from early morning to darn near dark. When finished, all of my clothes and a decent pair of boots hit the trashcan.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

So, now we all know where the Swamp Thing came from!

Eerie color for sure.

Tom, wonder what the same image would look like rendered as a B&W image. You know me and my passion for B&W. Just wondering!

Hey, Al. I'll take a look at it in B&W. I'm afraid that without the arresting color, the image will lose whatever redeeming value it has, Even the Swamp Thing avoids that stuff.

edited September 24, 2021

Here you go, Al. Shooting B&W, to me, often allows for a lot more personal interpretation than does color shooting. In any event, here is my version of " Madness in Mud "

This is my second choice on the B&W version. It's growing on me.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Thank you for taking a look at your original image in B&W.

IMHO, the first is a better (maybe clearer) representation than the second.

If I did not know what the subject was in advance, looking at the first image here in B&W, I might think....

an infrared (or thermal) image of a jungle canopy with associative rivers, lakes, valleys

or

an intelligence photo of a suspected threat actor site with topographic representation

or

an arial image of a section of the country, taken at night with the bright points of white representing cities, more densely displayed white, representing larger cities.

Thus, the B&W version might extract different interpretations/reactions from different folks. Thus, as you aptly and correctly state "B&W, to me, often allows for a lot more personal interpretation than does color shooting."

As a researcher, what I might do that could be a fun and interesting activity, would be to post the original version, asking folks to tell me what the image is, then a few days later, post the B&W image, asking the same question. Compare responses. Investigate...to what extent does color representation affect one's perspective or interpretation of an image. Or to what level does color truly alter ones perception/interpretation (of information) when as in this case, presented with the same image.

Thank you again Tom for taking the extra time and effort to produce a B&W image of your original.

Much appreciated!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Second version is like ancient moon footage! I like it!

Thank you, Al, for your thoughtful response. It's got my mind churning. Of your several options as to what the subject really is, the country scene is the one that was strongest in my mind. Your point, of course, is well made.....interpretations can sway all over the place.

Your feeling that B&W #1 might be a little clearer is, in this case, I think, due to the increased contrast in #2. Increased contrast can sometimes introduce a " jagged " aura, affecting perception.

As I sit here, I've decided to try a little research study along the lines of your thinking. I've got about 6 likely candidates. When I get back to Florida in November, I'll get on it.

Thanks again.

@Stumblebum said:
    Second version is like ancient moon footage! I like it!

I'm with you, buddy. There's a lot more drama #2.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Cool! I like the high contrast version too.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

There's so much good in this entire thread!

Firstly, way to go on the creative pic of the under-dock gnar-ness. That's some foul lookin' stuff for sure, would be very interested in learning why it's that color. I do prefer the color image over the B&W versions, but those aren't bad by any means. I definitely like all three renderings I've seen so far!

And next, I def agree with everything said about Taz picking up the camera again. We're all eagerly patient :smiley:

@Juano said:
    Cool! I like the high contrast version too.

I thought you might, my man. I was wearing my " Cristóbal Hat " while working on that one.

edited October 14, 2021

Thanks for the visit, JonaBeth. I have a friend with the Corp. of Engineers for this region. I'll see what I can find out about that mud. Take care.