Options

Canon Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with Variable ND Filter Question

EskuvoEskuvo Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited October 5, 2021 in Accessories

Is there anybody here using EF lenses with Canon mirroless?
Do you have the Canon Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with Variable ND Filter?
1. Any experience with it? Can you take out the filter and tape the
filter hole and use it as a regular adapter when you don't need the nd
filter?
2. They are selling third party versions? Any luck with those?

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

I have the drop-in filter adapter with a CP filter. You can use a clear filter if you don't want to use your variable ND.

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator

I own a couple of the variable ND EF->RF adapters. One I received as a gift.

They work as advertised - you can alter the variable ND filter while looking through the viewfinder or at the LCD - but they are fudsy though, too. It is very easy to alter the setting of the variable filter unless you are **very careful **in your handling of the camera. So for a patient dedicated landscape shooter on a tripod they can be quite useful and I use them that way occasionally.

But in my hands I find them of less appeal when shooting in "walk around" mode, because I, invariably, seem to alter the variable setting on the ND filter, inadvertently. And only notice it when my image fails.

I have not tried to use them without a filter in place - one can just buy the standard EOS EF->RF lens adapter for that and not have to mess with tape, dust, etc. I do not like open holes in my optical path with an exposed sensor for obvious reasons. Tape might work, but again, it is a kludge.

I own and use a couple JJC EF->RF lens adapters as well as a couple Canon EOS EF->RF lens adapters, and they all seem to work fine. I favor the OEM Canon adapters though, they just seem slightly better. But the Canon EF-RF lens adapters have been back ordered at B&H for some time. They should be available real soon now, any time, real soon. I'm not kidding, I think

Meanwhile the JJC EF->RF lens adapter can be found on Amazon for 49.95 and seems to work fine on my Sigma EF 105mm f1.4 Art lens on my R body.

Originally I thought I would only want one EF->RF adapter, and just swap lenses on them, but I find I much prefer to mount a EF->RF adapter on a lens and leave it there - so that means I need several EF->RF adapters, AND, I suspect there are a lot of other folks who feel as I do about this situation. Thus the shortage of Canon EF->RF adapters presently. I am hoping this will get better in the near future - altho the advent of the R3 MAY make it worse for a while yet. We shall see.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 13, 2021

@pathfinder said:
    I have not tried to use them without a filter in place - one can just buy the standard EOS EF->RF lens adapter for that and not have to mess with tape, dust, etc. I do not like open holes in my optical path with an exposed sensor for obvious reasons. Tape might work, but again, it is a kludge.

As I mentioned above, you don't need tape and don't need to change your adapter when you're not using your ND or CP drop-in filters. Just pop in a clear filter instead. I've used this a lot. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434115-REG/canon_3444c001_drop_in_clear_filter_a.html

Also JJC makes filter hole covers for the same purpose. I haven't tried them yet. https://www.amazon.com/Adapters-Adapter-Converter-Variable-Anti-Dust/dp/B09DPK78YY/