Beaten, Bruised, and Abandoned.

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited October 12, 2021 in Other Cool Shots

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Interesting subject(s).

I might lighten the darks a tad bit, the trees in the upper right corner, as an example.

If possible (even feasible, not knowing the original image format), you might have another good image if you were to do a close-up, tighter crop on the cabin of the boat almost center-frame of this image.

Looks like the water-level is pretty low here, or the tide is out. Guess this could be an inlet along the coast.

Thanks for sharing this one with us.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Hey, Al. Many thanks for your thoughtful comments.

The trees in the original color version were very dark. Considering my limited manipulation skills, in this B&W version I couldn't lighten the trees any appreciable amount without opening up a litany of other issues affecting the image. I agree with you ....I just couldn't pull it off.

I really wanted to get closer to the boats but I was shooting from a roadside mound and couldn't because of a moat. In this image I really wanted to keep the closer boat in its entirety. Cropping this image to get close to your suggestion just didn't work. Your point is accurate, though. There were a lot of cool images I could see making if I could have gotten closer to the core and created some shots with a lot of drama.

This was shot on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada....FDR's playground as a youth ( Incidentally, he was a terrific athlete as a young man ). He regularly would swim a round trip of 3 miles to a nearby island to visit with an Indian Chief that had befriended him. Visiting his family's compound on the island was extremely informative.

Thanks again, my friend, for your input. I value it highly.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 14, 2021

I did do a slightly cropped version to address your suggestion. A small adjustment but I like it.

I first posted this original color shot a couple of years ago. I think the color adds some needed POP....at least in this case. In a case where I could get really close to the innards of the scene, B&W might well prevail.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Color is working Tom!

@Stumblebum said:
    Color is working Tom!

Thanks, Taz. I hope you're doing well, buddy.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I like the color as well, Tom
    Is this at Wilson's beach on Campobello?

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Hey, buddy. I'm not sure about the Wilson's beach part. It was on the left side of the road as I worked my way toward the north end of the island.