New barn work III

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Still in use when cattle are in the area. Yes.....cattle herds in the mountains.

1 )

Typical situation. Old facilities abandoned and left standing.....new facilities built elsewhere on property.

2 )

This beauty is over 200 years old.....has a documented build date of 1803

3 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Real nice images of lovely structures...as always.

Wonder how many creatures beyond cattle (big and tiny) call these places home?

Amazing that structures such as these, exposed to the elements as they are, still survive, 200 years later. They just don't build things today like they did back in the day.

Thanks for sharing these images of architectural craftsmanship and historic significance.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

All 3 are special! Wow second one is what I dream of. When I was trying I couldn't find even one. You have unearthed precious gems and so many!
    Bravo Tom!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Al....

All sorts of critters, from bears to rats may pay a visit. I'm not sure how many would call it home. Were this one totally abandoned, more would call it home. There are coyotes, bobcats, and others to consider but those tend to roam quite a bit. Interesting question.

The barn in #3 has certainly had more than one roof, maybe several to date. Two of the support posts under the back roof extension had to be replaced. All else you see is the same as as the day it was finished, inside an out, excepting the rare occasion when some exterior slats needed replacing. You can see evidence of that on a spot or two.

Take care, my friend.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2021

@Stumblebum said:
    All 3 are special! Wow second one is what I dream of. When I was trying I couldn't find even one. You have unearthed precious gems and so many!
    Bravo Tom!

Thanks for your support, Taz. The structures in #2 are about 150 feet from the narrow country road. They sit atop a fairly steep rise above the road. There was a private driveway that passed by these barns to a fairly new home some 200-250 yards further along. The old stuff was unquestionably part of the same property. I looked and couldn't see anyone at the home. If I had, I would have approached and ask permission. I jumped a low fence and went about halfway up the rise. The dynamics weren't right at that position so I proceeded further up the rise for a better shooting perspective. I'm always conscious of private property issues and I didn't want to push my luck. I was just about to my truck when a car pulled in to the driveway. ZOUNDS. BUSTED. It was the owner. Blessedly, she was a very pleasant middle-aged lady..... said I was welcome to take as many pictures as I wanted. She said the property was settled by her great grandparents and they built those barns. I asked her if she had an email address and I'd send her the pictures. I have done so.

As she was getting in her car, she turned and said to me....and I quote verbatim, never to be forgotten...." It's a good thing my father didn't see you. You'd be leaving with an ass full of lead "