Mini Challenge #327: You can't see the forest for the trees...

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited November 3, 2021 in The Dgrin Challenges

At a time when the Mini participation is alarmingly low, I am taking a risk and choosing a somewhat difficult (at least in my mind...) subject. In 2016, one of the very first Minis that I entered was Mini 220 "Into the Woods" led by @pegelli. Ever since then I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to photograph a busy forest without some other convenient object leading the eye. And since I live directly adjacent to a forest I have plenty of opportunities to practice, but I still don't feel really proficient in the skill.

So to quote Pieter directly, here's what I'm looking for:
"I’m always amazed how some people are able to put order in a random mix of trees and shrubs. I always find this a difficult challenge and I’m hoping I can learn to see better myself from your submissions. ... I just want to see trees, broken branches, shrubs and forest floor. No stacks of firewood or streams/paths or other non-forest elements to help the composition. I really want your shot in the woods in its purest form. I also want more than one tree, it really has to be a forest."

This mini will run until Friday November 12, 9:00am Pacific Time.

Here are a few examples of what I am looking for:

+
+
+
++++And here's what NOT to enter:++++

And here's a link to the offical mini rules if you haven't entered before.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 3, 2021

So glad to see a repeated challenge as that was during a time when the powers over me said mods could not participate in any challenges. So glad it was changed. I remember really feeling left out of these awesome challenges!

1 Frosty Forest

2 Forest Line Shine

3 When Lava meets Forest Trees - it creates these hollow pillars that the tree burns up and turns to ash, but the lava cools quick and remains as a pillar. As found in Hawaii.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@JAG Hi Joyce . thanks for starting off with a great entry... except that the third shot, although beautiful, is exactly NOT what the brief is this time around - please no paths, streams, etc which draw the eye so nicely - I'm looking for the answer to how to shoot those trees. Please feel free to replace the shot if you've got one that fits the brief.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2021

I missed the comment at the top as to what NOT to enter.
    ****And here's what NOT to enter:****

But the first one has rocks in it. Is that OK?

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@sarasphotos said:
    @JAG Hi Joyce . thanks for starting off with a great entry... except that the third shot, although beautiful, is exactly NOT what the brief is this time around - please no paths, streams, etc which draw the eye so nicely - I'm looking for the answer to how to shoot those trees. Please feel free to replace the shot if you've got one that fits the brief.

I didn't see the NOT post comment either. Thus why I thought it was acceptable. You might want to leave a bigger space between that image and the others. So hopefully it will be noticed more.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    1. Ghost tree
    2. Birches
    3. Leaf Peeper Season
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited November 3, 2021

@JAG @grandmaR Sorry if I was unclear. I've edited the post so hopefully it's now clearer, and I swapped out one example which was not so clear.

@grandmaR Thanks for entering!

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great idea to recycle an old theme Sara, and because you picked one of mine (I'm honoured) I can now also participate :)

Here's my entries:

1: Mastenbos, Kapellen

2: Foggy winter morning

3: Glowy grove

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@pegelli so glad that you now have the chance to enter! Indeed, this theme has been haunting me ever since you posted it 5 years ago. It's a tough one!

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

I love these challenges and the images everyone shares! They inspire me to look at the world around me in very different ways. My contributions

1. A stand of aspens near Green Lake, BC.

1. a mature hemlock forest, Chilliwack Lake, BC
    2. Cedars and maples, Harrison Lake, BC, in autumn. This last was taken just two days ago..

and one not for the mini, but showing another aspect of the local forest

THanks for the entries, Dave - they all fit the bill perfectly.

Hey all, we've got another few days for this callenge - I'd love to see a few more entries!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I'm a last minute entrant as usual, but at least I got something in.
    1. A curvy tree, Great Smoky Mountains NP

1. Quiet Walkway, Great Smoky Mountains NP

2. White Mountains autumn

~~Barbara
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Another last minute entry - should be working on other things, but oh well. :smiley:

Northern California Aspens

California Redwoods

Colorado Pines

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Great theme! Contributing two images but please don't consider as entries. (Limited ability to use the computer just now.)

1) Aspens in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

2) Aspens in Maroon Bells Wilderness, Colorado

Thank you all for the entries! The mini is now closed - I'll have the results up tomorrow or the next day.