Video resolution changes on upload

softleydoesitsoftleydoesit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins

I loaded several videos a year ago in 720x576 and they uploaded fine. Trying to unpload 720x576 files today and they are showing as 640x512. Why is this? I can find no function to change upload resolution. The file on my desktop are definitely 720x576.

Comments

• softleydoesitsoftleydoesit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins

A little bump for this... I emailed support over a week ago too. Can i get a confirmation either here or by email acknowledging this is a know problem and being investigated. I have an ongoing video project to upload to, but can't while this problem persists.

• tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee

Hey there. Can you please send us a link to example video?

SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
    edited October 26, 2021

Hi. These are personal videos so I won't be sharing a link, but I do have a screen grab of the replace thumbnail prompt. On trying again, I noticed that the video itself maintains its 720 resolution, it's just the thumbnail prompt that's changed to 640x512. I have 9 videos loaded previously, which all have thumbnails that conform to the video resolution, but now they don't. This lack of consistency really bugs me and has bought my project to a halt as new thumbnail don't match the old ones in the gallery.

• JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee

Without seeing the video link and the image resolution that you are using to replace the image we can't really assist. If you give us a link to your site, we can look up your account and thereby the email associated with it to look for your email sent to the helpdesk so we can dig into it for you.

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero

Details of the video resolution I'm uploading is shown by first image above; the video uploads and appears to be the correct resolution. That's a screen grab from the video info on my computer. The video is 720x576.

The second image is a screen grab from the dialogue box when I attempt to change the thumbnail of the video, which has to be an upload because smugmug won't let me select a frame from the video. The dimensions are a sumgmug request, no thumbnail has been uploaded yet. I can't upload a 720x576 thumbnail because smugmug is requesting that it be 640x512. When I do upload the requested dimensions jpg it works, but the ratio of the thumbnail and the video are different.

I don't want to share my personal videos - they're for friends and family. My email says basically the same as above. My site is matthewsoftley.com.

Edit:

made a test video https://www.matthewsoftley.com/VIDEO-TEST/n-pXfw9T/i-qffzzZH/A

It is a 720x576 export

I got the same request to upload a 640x512 jpg for a thumbnail and loaded a test 640x512 image 1998 world cup part two

This is how it looks in the gallery, it's the last one on the right

If you look at the info button the resolution of the file is, showing the 640x512, https://share.getcloudapp.com/4guPn6AE That is why the system is requesting that resolution image for the preview replacement.

When you upload a video that is not one of our supported sizes, we'll save it as the next available size down. 720x576 is not a standard size, it is a standard widescreen size, but not one we support, so the file is saved at the next standard resolution down. When you download it, it does download as 700x512.

An email with this and more information has been sent to you so that we may deal directly with the concern. If you reply in that email I think it will be faster for you in getting a resolution to the concern.

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited November 5, 2021

I have not received an email, so I'll carry on here for now.

I did not have camera info turned on, so that's helpful, thank you.

It's weird... All the source material for videos in the gallery is the same resolution, 4x3 video8 from the 90s, all created with the same sequence setting which are applied by Premier Pro on creation to match the media. All exported under the same settings as in the screen grab above. I went and checked the info on the previous uploads which all conform to the same dimensions, and here it got weirder. The prompt for a jpg thumbnail upload is 784x576. Whether it's a supported size or not, shouldn't the videos and their thumbnails load to a consistent default? And on a wider view, are the sequence settings wrong for my media resolution if as you say they are widescreen settings? Playback of the video all looks the correct aspect ratio, I'd expect it to be stretched for widescreen... scratching my head...

edited November 5, 2021

I reloaded one of the older videos, the one above that was showing as 784x576 and it reloaded as 640x512. Have smugmug changed something about how videos are processed?

ps is there a way to delete comments?

Check your spam and junk mail. The email was sent at 4:11 pm PST. I just sent another as well. Without being able to look at the videos in their entirety we are not going to assist in the most efficient manner.

Managing comments is in this information: https://www.smugmughelp.com/en/articles/277-manage-comments

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited November 5, 2021

The most immediate resolution to this matter appears to me to reload all my videos and hopefully they'll all conform to the same dimensions, not ideal. Something does appear to have changed with the smugmug processing however.

Best solution overall would be be able to choose a frame from the video to be the thumbnail imo.

Got your email. Thanks for your time Jen.

ps I meant delete a comment here on the forum.

You are welcome. Thanks for the clarification on the comments. Which comment were you looking to delete? One of yours or one of mine? Logged in if it is one of yours there should be a little gear icon upper right in any of your comment boxes, there is an edit option on the drop down. If one of my comments, let me know which one and I can edit it.

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero

One of mine, it was a duplication... I didn't see a delete function, so I edited to contain nothing and it's gone now. Thanks again.

The newly uploaded videos look very poor at 640x512, and they have interlacing issues, jagged tearing in frame on movement, compared to the previous uploads which sumugmug processed as 784x576, which looked ok and had no tearing.

If sumgmug doesn't support 720x576, what format does it use for 4x3 SD footage? What resolution should I try for the best quality?