Mini challenge # 328 : Ruins and other derelict buildings

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

We've had general architecture mini's but this time I want to get a bit more specific and focus on older structures which are falling apart
Both inside and outside is fine, as long as it is clear it needs a lot of work to restore it to its original condition

Here's a few examples from me, but I think theer are many more possibilities that fit the brief

1: The partly blown up redoubt of Schilde

2: Chartreuse (Liège)

3: Remains of a former priory in Grobbendonk

4: Deserted farmhouse

5: Shed

Looking forward to your contributions and making my (judging) life difficult
This mini will be open for ~3 weeks and close on friday december 10 at noon (NWE time)

And if you haven't participated before, please take a look at the un-official rules here: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules#latest

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Love this topic and love old buildings - the more decrepit, the better!

1) Pflug Mansion, Washington State. John Pflug began building in 1908 himself - hauling all materials from saw mill about 10 miles away with only a team and wagon. He never finished his dream house and it has been vacant since 1921.

2) Madera County, Ca - on its last legs, but apparently still being used.

3) "Adobe Doors" - Hornitos, Ca. What's left of an Adobe building from the gold rush era. Lots of work to put this back together - and one would have to find another home for the herd!

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks Jo, three excellent entries!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2021
    1. Manager's house on the Dismal Swamp Canal

2. Covered Bridge

3. I was thinking of this photo, but it was taken in 1996 in Barbados when I was just using a small point and shoot film camera, so it isn't a very good photo (IMHO) - It was of Farley Hill. The house was restored in 1957 and used in the film "Island in the Sun" (Harry Belafonte and Joan Fontaine) and then was destroyed by fire in 1965, Same photo - two different edits

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • LexingtonAlarmLexingtonAlarm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2021
    photo is now embedded below. Thanks to the admins.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 20, 2021

Great theme Pieter! Here are my 3, although I do not have many.

1 Independence Mine in Hatcher's Pass Alaska

2 Idaho Dilapidated Farm house, This picture was taken back in 2005 when I got my very first digital camera. It was a Kodak point and shoot, about 5mp. Thus why not so clear as we are use too. I might change this out if I have time. Out celebrating this weekend with my hubby for our 38 anniversary.

3 Homestead house abandoned, Eagle River Alaska

edited November 21, 2021

This is my first Dgrin Challenge, as I recently began transferring photos to smugmug. The photo is an abandoned cabin of some homesteaders who came to this area of New Hampshire in the 1960's. They only lasted about 10 years, and the cabin has been slowly deteriorating. This photo was taken in 2002. Since then the cabin has completely collapsed. My goal was to show the woods reclaiming their space as the building weathered away.

This second photo is an old mine shaft on the Southwest Coast Path in Cornwall, UK. I had my 400 mm telephoto lens on my regular camera for birding, so this was shot with an iphone camera.

Thanks for entering GrandmaR, JAG and LexingtonAlarm, all very worthy entries. You're making my judging life difficult which is a good thing B)

@LexingtonAlarm : You're allowed up to three entries, so you can enter two more if you want.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Great mini Pieter! Here are three from my files

1. Abandoned farmhouse, British Columbia, near Lumby.

1. abandoned resort, at San Rafael Glacier, Patagonia, Chile

1. Abandoned sawmill, near Comox, British Columbia

Dave.. I think your entries are great, and I love your site. I am new to smugmug (though doing photography for 20 years) and just now transferring my pictures from Flickr, so i have been browsing a bit. My site is very much a work in progress. I really appreciate your photographic style. And your use of keywords to integrate your photos on your site.

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2021

Been a while since I've entered one of these.

1) Abandoned spy station. Teufelsberg, United States Army Security Agency Field Station Berlin. Berlin, Germany. 2013 (Yes, I have some history with this place.)

2) Abandoned home. Ox Creek, North Carolina. 2015

3) Our family chapel (now abandoned). Trout, Louisiana 2016

Thanks for entering Dave and Kurt, and Kurt, great to see you back :)

For the others, the mini will be open for another week, so pls. make my life difficult and enter if you haven't done so yet.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    1. Abandoned Farmhouse near Marble Falls, TX. This is a popular spot for Central Texas Photographers in the spring!

2. Pueblo ruins at Wupatki National Monument

3. More ruins at Wupatki

I thought I had some other abandoned buildings, but I need to try to find them. I really have a lot of the old stone farmhouse, going back 37 years! Wowza.

Sherry P.

This mini is now closed, give me a day or two to provide my comments and select a winner. Thanks all for entering!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug