https://timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/chicago

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Thanks for sharing!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator

Not my image, but one of the better images online:

Attribution: Friday, Nov. 19, in downtown Kansas City, Mo. Charlie Riedel/AP

ziggy53
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

My eclipse attempt last night was disappointing, to say the least, and I should probably just saw off the corner of my CF card where those image electrons are located and toss it in the garbage can.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

I went behind my garage, with no light conflicts from street lights or house lights, and snapped off around 30 frames. All images were too soft. Stacking couldn't and didn't help.

Using a green laser for pointing and it was a nice, twinkly beam all the way out, so probably not fog.

Plenty of sharp stars directly above so I think there were some high, light clouds causing the diffusion of the moon at that inclination.

At least we got to see the "blood red" filtering effect, which was pretty nice at 3:06am. It was also nice not to have to rush too much. :)

ziggy53

Ziggy, I had the same situation. Oddly, at exactly 12:05am, when the eclipse began, the full cloudy sky gave way to clear conditions (this happened in 2014 also). And I mean to the exact minute. I saw this as a sign from above, literally, as it meant I had permission to shoot the full eclipse. And so, I began. And every 20 to 30 minutes I went out with the 400 and 1.4x on, and grabbed perfectly auto focused shots from the bright rim of the moon and proper exposures. The next afternoon I reviewed all my images, and none looked in focus. I've never had that happen before. As you mentioned, there must have been a layer of something up there that my eyes and camera couldn't see. Totally looked clear with my eyes. Or my focus is off on my system. I should check that soon on another night to compare.

My Smugmug
    edited November 22, 2021

So I wrecked it intentially because all the files were soft from some semi-invisible clouds or something else. I added an aurora, some noise, a cloud, and totally messed with color channels and curves to make this psychodelic. Now I'm quite sure nobody else has this same photo. And I'm happy with it. Oh, perhaps I should also add a fake foreground and an airplane silhouette flying across the face?

November 19th 2021 Lunar Eclipse

My Smugmug

@David_S85 said:
    ... Oh, perhaps I should also add a fake foreground and an airplane silohouette flying across the face?

ziggy53
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Nice to see the image here. Sky was filled with high-level clouds that made imaging really impossible from my neck of the woods. Glad someone had a nice view and came home with some "keepers."

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

I was able to take some shots

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2021

@David_S85 said:
    So I wrecked it intentially because all the files were soft from some semi-invisible clouds or something else. I added an aurora, some noise, a cloud, and totally messed with color channels and curves to make this psychodelic. Now I'm quite sure nobody else has this same photo. And I'm happy with it. Oh, perhaps I should also add a fake foreground and an airplane silhouette flying across the face?

^ There ya go! :)

My Smugmug