Options

Q on new features supporting RAW files

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins

Concerning the new feature that SM supporting RAW files, is it merely for storing or it can be opened and view it

Comments

• Options

No one?

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
  • Options
    MAStoughMAStough Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2021
    I guess the nearly zero response and discussion about this very good question, there are very few users of this *new* paid service. As a Pro, I do not consider this additional pricing worth moving my RAWs from five (5) different HD/SSD backups and two (2) secure cloud backups. I mean, what's the advantage (particular when paying for a Pro subscription to SmugMug!)? Everything I read is just a paid cloud storage. Yep, It's not 2001 when HDs were the way to go, and it's not 2011 when cloud services appeared. No, it's 2021 and SSDs pricing is falling like a rock. So I'm just dumbfounded as to what the value is to a SM Pro. Sorry, just can't see it in the marketing material.
  • Options

@MAStough said:
    I guess the nearly zero response and discussion about this very good question, there are very few users of this new paid service. As a Pro, I do not consider this additional pricing worth moving my RAWs from five (5) different HD/SSD backups and two (2) secure cloud backups. I mean, what's the advantage (particular when paying for a Pro subscription to SmugMug!)? Everything I read is just a paid cloud storage. Yep, It's not 2001 when HDs were the way to go, and it's not 2011 when cloud services appeared. No, it's 2021 and SSDs pricing is falling like a rock. So I'm just dumbfounded as to what the value is to a SM Pro. Sorry, just can't see it in the marketing material.

I did write to SM and they said it can be viewed but cannot edit. But u r right. Portable drive are dropping like a rock but at the risk of malfunction. U will curse it if that happen. The advantage is the obvious fast upload and dnload. I can see this as upside.