Mini Challenge #329: Street Photography

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

I looked through the past themes and did not see this, so... let's give this a try!

My first passion is street and documentary photography. Below are some examples. Basically, no photos are to be posed or staged. I like natural light, but if you shoot like Bruce Gilden it's OK.

Most of mine are in B&W, but color is OK. Also, just because it's street does not mean it has to be serious. Humorous entries are welcome and encouraged. Also, if you would like to include a back story to the shot that would be fun too, but not necessary.

This may get some out of their comfort zone, but that's the fun part! The contest will run until December 30, 12:00PM ET.

Have fun and good luck!!!

1) Augsburg Buskers

2) Dresden Police

3) Confrontation with the press in Dresden

4) Tired street performer in Dresden

5) Paper factory in Canton, North Carolina

Comments

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2021

Nice challenge and nice examples Kurt. It's a style I'm not good at (too bashful to point my camera at full strangers) but sometimes I still dare to try it.

Here's my entries:

1: I think she spotted me, he is 100% oblivious to what's happening around him

2: Tenderness

3: Ready to board

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2021

1.I am transferring from one computer to another, but I have to submit this one - taken from a Land Rover as we drove down the street in Tanzania. My granddaughter saw him giving us the finger but I did not as I was taking the photo (and I often don't actually see what I've taken a photo of until I look at the photo). She told me to look at my photos to find it. I was really surprised to see what I had taken a photo of. And I still don't know why or if he was really aiming at us.

2.Less controversial from Grenada - taken from a tour bus

3. Colin makes a call (taken from a bus in Yorkshire). We were in Yorkshire to visit the places where they filmed "Last of the Summer Wine" Colin was running bus tours. He had us all on the bus and then he had to make a phone call.

This was the bus we were on - taken the previous day - not for the mini

I do take quite a lot of photos of people in the street - usually I am in some kind of vehicle, but not always. I've only been called on it once and it was the one time that I was really NOT taking a photo of people. I took a photo of the sign in the window of a KFC in St Croix. A man inside came out and wanted to know why I was taking his photo. I said quite truthfully that I was not, and since it was a digital camera I was able to show him the photo so he could see that he wasn't visible inside the store.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

Great start! These are exactly what I was hoping for.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I don't have many street shots - mainly because I am too much of a coward to chance a bad reaction from a stranger. I don't like having my picture taken by friend or strangers, so I may be a little overly cautious about others. Unfortunately, this may be a sign of the times. But I did find a couple that may qualify for the mini.

1) Good times with new and old friends

2) Street vendor entertaining the crowds

3) Crowds in Reno, Nv - "the Biggest Little City in the World"

I'd really like to see some more entries. Now may be a good time to practice those street skills. Holiday shoppers in masks, etc. would make an interesting commentary on our times.

Just sayin'.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Nothing recent (been dealing with flooding issues around home, all better now).

1. morning commute Bayamo Cuba

2 the conversation, Mazatlan, Mexico

1. Time together, Mazatlan, Mexico

• LexingtonAlarmLexingtonAlarm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2021

These street photos are from some of my trips to China.. back when it was possible to travel. The first two are from the Huangsha Aquatic Market in Guangzhou a night seafood market. The third one is on the Guangzhou subway. I feel more comfortable with street photography when I am traveling in a different culture, as I think some latitude is given to visitors.

This photo is the night market.

A Seafood Seller at the Night market

On the subway. I like the juxtaposition of all the arms.

Toby Sackton
    Lexington, Massachusetts
    https://tobysackton.smugmug.com/

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2021

Happy Holidays - This is not for the mini but I was in Cozumel on Dec 25th 2007 on a cruise ship. I took this photo on that day. The ship crew gets off and goes shopping and phones home.

There are also local people working the ships

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Just a reminder that Thursday 12:00PM ET is the dead line. There are some great shots here so far.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited December 29, 2021

Here are three photos that may fit the theme but please don't consider them as entries. We have also had some flooding issues in our home, and I need to focus on the "rebuilding" process. Thanks.

1) Godiva demonstration in Brussels
    We had a layover in Brussels on our way to Cote d'Ivoire and enjoyed exploring the city before continuing our journey.

2) Japanese treat we enjoyed in Kyoto
    We visited friends in Kyoto, and they wanted us to sample this treat and a cup of tea.

3) Seen on a street corner in Kyoto
    We were waiting to cross the street when I decided to take a quick photo.

This mini is now closed. I hope to have the results up tomorrow.

Thanks for the entries!