RESULTS: Mini challenge # 328 : Ruins and other derelict buildings

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,774 Major grins

This wasn't easy to judge, so many great images and all of them fit the brief perfectly. I just love these kind of old derelict structures and the great diversity in which you all have shown them for this mini. A big thanks to all participants :)

Let me start off with some comments:

@Cavalier : nice set, the unsaturated brownish grass adds a lot to the old house and barn falling to pieces and the fence in front adds depth and balances the composition. The other two are fine entries as well
@grandmaR : I really like the covered bridge ruin, coming from nowhere and going nowhere. Great find! From your third entry I like the second version the best
@JAG : All three your entries are right up my alley, I think I could spend a day or more at that Alaskan mine, so much to see and photograph. I bet you had a ball there.
@LexingtonAlarm : Very good start on your mini-career here on DGrin, the fall colours work very well in the first image and the "look through" to the background in the second gives a lot of depth to the image
@DavidRGillespie : The first is great, B&W conversion spot onfor the threatening mood. The second and third are nice scenes as well allthough I would do a keystone correction to the third to emphasize the straightness and symmetry
@BMW Kurt : Great to see you back and the first is a real splash, the people in photo help judging the scale and size of the ball. The textures of the weathered wood come out nicely in the other two
@slpollett : your first entry is really special, don't know where to look first, to the flowers or the old house. Also the wide angle shots of the Wapatki ruins are nice, good foreground interest and gorgeous colours

And now the top of the pick in my humble opinion
HM's for Cavalier (Pflug mansion), grandmaR (Covered Bridge), LexingtonAlarm (old mine shaft on the Southwest Coast Path) and DavidRGillespie (Abandoned farmhouse, British Columbia, near Lumby)
Third place for JAG for the Independence Mine in Hatcher's Pass Alaska
Second place for slpollett for the Abandoned Farmhouse near Marble Falls, TX.

And the winner is:
BMW Kurt for Abandoned spy station. Teufelsberg, United States Army Security Agency Field Station Berlin. Berlin, Germany. 2013

Congrats Kurt and looking forward to what you can dream up for the next mini.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Congrats to @BMW Kurt for the first place - a great and a little disturbing image! The spy station looks like it has been through a war.
    Congrats to all for some fine entries.

Thanks for coming up with an interesting topic for the mini, Pieter and for the HM.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

Congratulations to @BMW Kurt on the first place. I agree with Jo that it is a disturbing image.

And thank you to Pieter for all the analysis - especially for saying which of the images you liked of the burned mansion in Barbados. (which was taken BD - before digital) The covered bridge was something we went looking for. We were at a golf resort (we don't play golf) in Alabama for a week in January and we had to find something to do, so we went looking for covered bridges.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

Wow! I just saw this. I am humbled. I will try and have a new challenge up tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,191 Major grins

Congrats to BMW Kurt for the win. Thank you for choosing my old farmhouse pic for 2nd!

Happy New Year everyone.

Sherry P.