Options

Geometric abstract

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
edited January 16, 2022 in Other Cool Shots

(Study on the corner of the ceiling of my bedroom.)

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2022

I like this, Cristóbal. Ordinarily, I'm not real strong on really structured, repetitive, geometrical patterns. This one though, I do like. BTW....your choice of colors used here is somewhat telling.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

Thanks Tom, now I'm curious to get your thoughts on the choice of colors. Care to share?

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Thanks Tom, now I'm curious to get your thoughts on the choice of colors. Care to share?

Well, my remarks were meant to be more in general, as opposed to directly referring to you specifically. While I was looking at your posting, my wife entered my office. I asked her if she liked the shot. Her taste and mine in art usually run together, but not always. She did like the shot. She remarked that your color choices could tell a lot about you when associated with a full personality workup. She had a long, noted career in doing such psychological assessments for various parties. She did add, though, that if she saw a fairly large body of your work ( or mine or anyone else ), the colors used definitely come in to play as they can reveal or support traits that a comprehensive evaluation would expose. I think my work with rust drives her up a wall.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@black mamba said:

@Juano said:

Well, my remarks were meant to be more in general, as opposed to directly referring to you specifically. While I was looking at your posting, my wife entered my office. I asked her if she liked the shot. Her taste and mine in art usually run together, but not always. She did like the shot. She remarked that your color choices could tell a lot about you when associated with a full personality workup. She had a long, noted career in doing such psychological assessments for various parties. She did add, though, that if she saw a fairly large body of your work ( or mine or anyone else ), the colors used definitely come in to play as they can reveal or support traits that a comprehensive evaluation would expose. I think my work with rust drives her up a wall.

Well, that's very interesting! Feel free to show her some other pics, specially from my more "out there" work...! :smile:

https://www.mind-driftphoto.com/Abstracts/Composites/
    https://www.mind-driftphoto.com/Abstracts/Abstracts/

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Cristóbal...

Wonderful image and excellent presentation. Artistic!!

As a big fan of "appropriately used" white space, your approach and presentation is spot on.

Clear, crisp, great color choices, arrangement...well conceived and presented.

I can easily see this used in stationary, logos, etc. Copyright and embed metadata in this one.

Well done!

• Options

Many thanks Gato. You bring up a good point, I know this has been discussed before in this forum, but how do we protect our work? I hate watermarks, I added a copyright and reposted the image, but I’m not sure it “took”. I welcome any advice. Thanks

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Cristóbal....

Unfortunately in todays IT-centric world, ALMOST any security control can be bypassed or compromised. As I tell my clients, if someone has enough time, effort, energy, money and desire, they will find a way to breach most defenses, physical or logical.

For photos you might want to investigate two options, one simpler, the other not as much but potentially more secure.

Option 1, depending on the camera you use or the software you use for post processing (or via third-party supplemental software), load up the metadata information on the photo's source. Usually you can do this in the camera's firmware so that the information is copied (embedded) directly into (along side) the image data. So if the actual image is misappropriated, then opening the image to display the metadata should reveal your identifying information.

If someone simply copies it from an online source, said metadata is usually not retained. Thus, when posting any image to an online site, even your own site, you may wish to produce a "web-sized" or 50% reduce-sized version. If used in an unauthorized manner, the image if enlarged will not scale and image quality will digress the larger one attempts to enlarge the image.

Also as you discussed, using watermarks, "signatures" and other means to discourage someone from misusing your image are also valid approaches. Try creating a clear, "wire-frame" (vs a solid filled image) watermark for your images and saving it as a .svg (vector graphic) file. For images that you wish to post, you could merge the .svg clear watermark and your image. If you sell the image, depending on the terms of the sale, the clear watermark could remain (since no one can see it) or you could easily remove it. If the image where to be used in an unauthorized manner, you (your attorney) could claim that it is watermarked and you could prove such by reversing the merge process.

Unfortunately, as I said, if someone really, really wants the image, they will probably find a way to get it. But, copying it from an online site, in a small file size, will not get them a very useful image for much other than looking at.

If you are selling an image, then metadata is important as is a good contract for the intended use of your image. Alas a whole other discussion.

Option 2 is something I think will really change the landscape and may provide an interesting avenue to better protecting one's artistic images.

Non-fungible tokens (I sound like Walter Brooke talking to Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate). OK...some will get this reference!

NFTs are tokens that we can use to represent ownership of unique items. They let us tokenise things like art, collectibles, even real estate. They can only have one official owner at a time and they're secured by the Ethereum blockchain – no one can modify the record of ownership or copy/paste a new NFT into existence. [cite: https://ethereum.org/en/nft/]

You might wish to look into NFT as a way of digitally protecting select images or the entire lot.

A very good basic article I came across that walks one through NFTs and their application to photography can be found here...

www.digitalcameraworld.com/features/how-i-sell-my-photographs-as-nfts

This all said, even NFTs are subject to security risks....its technology at the heart.

One essential functioning part of NFT is encryption. Encryption is only as good (or as strong) as the key length of the encryption key and the key's owner's ability to protect and secure the key. If someone where to get ahold of the encryption key used to encrypt your (or anyone's) NFT for example, they could make off with it, copy it, etc., and there goes the uniqueness of the NFT image.

Another consideration....backup and archive options for your digital files. But, again, another topic, another post, another time.

As I mentioned in my original post, your image posted in this thread is very good, artistic and I can it used in many different applications.

Protect and keep this image secure!

Hope this helps.

• Options

Wow. A wealth of information and knowledge. Thank you.