Options

Really sad about this one....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited January 23, 2022 in Other Cool Shots

I first posted this shot about 5 or 6 years ago. I made it clear in the posting that the surface you see....excepting the raised window frames and the recessed door....is absolutely flat, no curvatures, nothing. It still mesmerizes me. It rates as one of my favorite barn shots ever. Well, it's gone. Hardly a trace left behind. That fact is often the sign that the barn-wood scavengers got it. Often, those guys will agree to clean up the site when they have gotten all that they want.

This is another shot of the barn I didn't post before.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Oh! What a shame, thank you for immortalizing it, absolutely great shots! I had not seen these before, I think they are my favorite barn shots of all times.

• Options

Thanks, Cristóbal, for your comments and support.

Relative to the second shot, not seen before, it bears close scrutiny. If you remove that wall extension that supports the three metal signs. along with those two broad support panels, the rest of what you see is a solid, flat wall. I mean it almost got a little spooky.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited January 25, 2022

First image rocks! At least you have it, and the farmer doesn't.

Land owners have been learning about the value of old barn timbers and have been selling their run-down barns to high bidders. Especially lately, as the resource is progressively more scarce. There's value in that old stuff for woodworkers and remodeling jobs.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

Thanks for the visit, David. You're absolutely right about the increase in wood scavenging. I've seen a lot more of that activity in the last couple of years. I was at a huge sale recently in S.E. Tennessee that featured old farm equipment. There were two booths at the show devoted exclusively to old barn wood.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Yeah these things fall.
    Not only that, there are SO MANY trees, that have in the past yielded good shots for me and they fall down,. killing the shot.
    Not that I have even looked at my camera for 1.5 years, but still remember the disappearing trees well.
    Always bummed when that happens.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

A wonderful shot of a beautiful structure.

Culturally significant structures disappearing almost literally before your eyes. Another one for the book!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Yeah these things fall.
    Not only that, there are SO MANY trees, that have in the past yielded good shots for me and they fall down,. killing the shot.
    Not that I have even looked at my camera for 1.5 years, but still remember the disappearing trees well.
    Always bummed when that happens.

You know, my friend, when you decide to touch your camera gear again, you'll find a slew of folks applauding.

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

A wonderful shot of a beautiful structure.

Culturally significant structures disappearing almost literally before your eyes. Another one for the book!

Thanks, Al.

It really hit home on my last foray up to the Appalachians. Checking out some of my favorite areas, I was stunned to see the demise of so many structures I've shot in the past. I know it's going to happen, apparently at an increasing rate, but it depresses me. My wife asked why I was a little bit low. I told her that I didn't want to be relegated to shooting toadstools. She gave me the most blank look I've ever seen.

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator

@black mamba said:

... My wife asked why I was a little bit low. I told her that I didn't want to be relegated to shooting toadstools. She gave me the most blank look I've ever seen.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options

Glad you tuned in, Ziggy. It's always nice to have you drop by. What can I say? Maybe one of life's most precious moments.

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Chestnut and other non or slowly rotting woods are used to build barns round here, anyway. Makes the wood valuable because, as with chestnut, there won't be any more

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 28, 2022

The hands of time seem to write their passage by the rendering of old barns.

I salute your images of old barn wood.

I, too, have watched numerous barns decay, and slowly fall away in my lifetime. It always seems sad to see the how transient each barn is in this world.
    Here's a barn I captured in Indiana while it was decaying back in February 2004, 18 years ago. It has been gone for over a decade now. Sadly, old wooden barns are being replaced with sheet metal and pole barns that are not nearly as attractive, even if they are more weather resistant.

One of the things I really like about photography, is the ability to capture images for long periods of time.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options

@willard3 said:

Chestnut and other non or slowly rotting woods are used to build barns round here, anyway. Makes the wood valuable because, as with chestnut, there won't be any more

Hey, Will. I've got a good friend up in the mountains who is a master craftsman. He has got a cache of old chestnut wood and he has said for a long time that he wants to build our kitchen cabinets out of that wood for us when we get the new home up there underway.

• Options

@pathfinder said:
    The hands of time seem to write their passage by the rendering of old barns.

I salute your images of old barn wood.

I, too, have watched numerous barns decay, and slowly fall away in my lifetime. It always seems sad to see the how transient each barn is in this world.
    Here's a barn I captured in Indiana while it was decaying back in February 2004, 18 years ago. It has been gone for over a decade now. Sadly, old wooden barns are being replaced with sheet metal and pole barns that are not nearly as attractive, even if they are more weather resistant.

One of the things I really like about photography, is the ability to capture images for long periods of time.

Many thanks for the visit and comments. That's a great barn shot you took. The accelerated demise of these old structures spurs me on to record as many of them as I can while I can. Take care.