Mini Challenge #331: Bold and Bright--Colors of My World

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
edited January 24, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges

Again I apologize for missing the end of the previous mini and getting this mini started.

Since we are in the middle of winter (at least in the northern hemisphere), the weather is overcast and gray, the grass is brown, basically everything is dull and dreary. Let's see some color pops! I would prefer to see colorful images that highlight the area where you live. Think of it as if you are putting together a travel brochure. Make me want to visit your city/state/country!!

I live in Texas. We are known for wildflowers in the spring, rodeos, colorful Tex-Mex heritage, longhorns, and a lot of other cool stuff. I don't have my own images of some of these things, but you get the idea. Show me beautiful colors in your world. Here's a few of mine for examples. I realized that I must not take too many pictures of places around here where I live!! I'll need to fix that! I have hundreds of wildflower pics, and not much else! I hope you have a better variety than I do!

1. The Yellow Rose of Texas -- A co-worker received some yellow roses (her favorite) from her son and wanted some pictures. Her office is all about Texas, so this is what we ended up with. This has been my all-time best selling image. It has even been the cover of a regional real estate magazine here in Texas.

2. Abandoned farmhouse in Bluebonnets

3. Cows in Bluebonnets -- they're not longhorns, but it's the best I have, lol.

4. Assorted Wildflowers

5. Our local strawberry farm

6. Visiting my daughter at college

7. Hope Outdoor Art -- this has since closed down in preparation to move to a new location, but it is a cute little grafitti art park in Austin, TX

8. Zilker Botanical Gardens, Austin TX

9. High School Band

10. Downtown Austin, TX

I'll let this mini run 3 weeks and close it at 5:00 pm CST on February 15, 2022. Make it hard for me folks!

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2022

It was a challenge to find both colorful things and ones that would showcase the county where I live. We are very rural here. The natives (of which I am not one) are mostly watermen and tobacco farmers. This is the Mother County of Maryland - the first settlers in Maryland landed here and the first capitol of Maryland was here. The old capitol has a reconstructed chapel, a museum, a tall ship (the Dove- a reconstruction of the original ship), and there are also farms like there would have been then,. so they are growing tobacco
    1. Tobacco flowers

The waterman harvest oysters in the winter - we have the National Oyster Festival the third weekend in October, but in the summer it is hard crabs

Then 11 November we have the largest Veterans Day Parade in the state with everything from belly dancers and Clydesdales to Mustangs and Marching Bands
    3. Parade "float"

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

Awesome, GrandmaR! Great start to the mini. I love the truck in the parade.

Sherry P.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great, we can use some colour here. It's been mainly dreary and grey here for weeks :/

M&M's

Wildflowers

Hi there

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • LexingtonAlarmLexingtonAlarm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins

Grandson at the Museum

Children with sugar cane in Amazonian Village

Boats at High Tide, St. Ives, UK

I think in all of these the color stands out to add to the photo.

Toby Sackton

https://tobysackton.smugmug.com/

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2022

Since the brief was "colorful images that highlight the area where you live". The three I picked were all taken within 10 miles of home.

1) Augsburg Cathedral, stained glass

2) Me visiting our beautiful Botanic Gardens

3) Sunset at a summer evening picnic

Awesome Pieter, Toby, and Sara! You guys are nailing it. I love the variety of colorful scenes.

It's not too late to enter! There's just over a week left in this mini. Come on folks...make my job harder!

Sherry P.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    1. Reflecting Pool, Lakeside Park, Fort Wayne Indiana

2. Willow Creek Autumn, Bicentennial Woods near Fort Wayne Indiana

This may not say "Fort Wayne" to most people but Bicentennial Woods is just a few minutes north of the city... and just a few minutes drive from my house.

3. Perennial Garden, Foster Park

In May, tulips rule the garden. With the help of several eastern redbud and other flowering trees.

~~Barbara

Love the tulips, Barbara! I like the reflecting pool, too, but the colors of the tulips really pop. :)

One more day folks! There's still time to enter. I would love to see some more of your colorful images.

Sherry P.

The mini is now closed. I'll try to post a winner either later this evening or tomorrow.

Sherry P.