Options

Updating Published Collections takes forever

newbie1234newbie1234 Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
New 16" MacPro M1 Pro, OS 12.2.1, files on a Drobo 5C direct USB connection. Plenty of unused drive space on it and the computer. I have quite a few galleries on my site (https://dianemiller.smugmug.com/) and I have added a single image to my 2022 favorites, which only had 8 images in it. LrC shows Updating Published Collections and shows the 1 image in New Photos to Publish in Grid view. The bar goes about halfway across and appears to hang. This action has always taken a few minutes but now it it taking MUCH longer, but it finally finished. Another gallery shows about a dozen Modified Photos to Publish and one new one, but I had added that one months ago and published it. I did Publish on this gallery and it took about 30 minutes. The Drobo is rewriting frantically. All software is up to date. Is this something with OS Monterey (OS 12)? Or is it just picking up on pictures that were somehow not correctly published on the older computer (a Mac Pro with OS 10 and several previous versions over the years). Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2022

I was wondering if this was going to show up in Dgrin! This is a known bug in Lightroom Classic Version 11.2. Adobe has a fix in test. Lots of programs, not just SmugMug, were hit. Complaints came in from all sides. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-update-publish-collection-stalls/idi-p/12749232.

The fix is to use the Creative Cloud interface to roll back to version 11.1. At least on Windows, you just open up Creative Cloud, hit the three dots on the line with Lightroom Classic, select "Other Versions" and hit "install" on the line with Version 11.1. That uninstalls 11.2, turns off auto update, and installs 11.1. Don't know if the Mac side works exactly the same way, but I'd guess it will be close.

As you might guess, this one hit me. SmugMug Help noted to me that not everybody sees this. It depends on the settings you use for publishing.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options

OK -- HUGE thanks for the reply!! I may try to hold out and just not update any galleries for a while and hope the fix comes out soon. I've spent the last 6 weeks squashing bugs (or trying to) with a new Mac M1 Pro machine.

• Options

I rolled back to LR 11.1 but STILL have the problem!!! All my images are on a Drobo (5C) and many hundreds are published in galleries on Smugmug. After I updated to 11.2, I tried to publish an additional image in a gallery and that started incessant writing to the Drobo. Looking at galleries in Grid view, I see all the images (previously published) being pushed back into the top section to be published. I rolled back to LR 11.1 and reset preferences but this behavior continues!

I see that other people have said going back to 11.1 fixed the problem for them, but it has not for me. LR works OK if I import a shoot to my MacHD, but the files on the Drobo are basically useless for me now because it is tied up incessantly writing metadata. I can "fix" the images in a gallery by selecting them and checking Mark as Up-to-Date, but then if I go to a different gallery (which has the same problem) and then come back to this one, they start moving back into the top section again, to be published!

PLEASE -- is there some way I can get out of this loop? Apparently other people have made 11.1 work for them. Is there an additional problem related to the Smugmug Publish module?

• Options
    edited March 5, 2022

I have some related but not identical experience that may or may not be helpful. Note I'm on the Windows side so I know nothing about Mac hardware, only about the behavior of Abobe software and the SmugMug plugin. If yours really is a hardware issue, none of this applies. But if it is all software, then maybe ...

I too have had on-and-off problems with published images being marked for republishing. Some discussions on Dgrin and with SmugMug Help going back years -- which I can't find right now -- suggest it is a Lightroom "feature", not related to hardware or the SmugMug plugin. It's separate from the 11.2 bug. It's not always been clear when this happens. I've seen a lot of it when a major Lightroom version upgrade rebuilds the catalog, and I then open a gallery in the plugin that I last opened in the older Lightroom version, so I suspect the "up-to-date" flag is specific to each individual Lightroom catalog file. I found, as you did, that Lightroom will select a few images needing to be republished right away, maybe a few more later, and maybe more yet when I come back to that gallery. Usually once I marked an image as up-to-date, that image stayed that way, but occasionally it took a second round. From uncomfortable experience, I also know that if you blow away all the various helper and preview files and just keep the Lightroom catalog, Lightroom will go nuts recreating the previews and will want to republish everything (again maybe a few-at-a-time rather than all-at-once). I don't know if any of those cases apply to you, but it may or be something related.

So what solutions did I use? First of all, for re-creating those previews I blew away, I just had to let it churn. I did uncheck most of the boxes in the Catalog Settings / Metadata dialog box so that minimum metadata was saved. As for Lightroom randomly marking images as needing to be republished, the only real solution is, as you noted, to mark images as up-to-date as they get flagged, but I found I could help the process along. For each gallery, I selected all images, moved to the Develop module with Auto-Sync on and made some innocuous change for all (see below for examples). That then flagged all the images for republication. I went to the Library module and marked all as up to date. Sometimes I tidied up: back to the Develop module to return all to their original state, thus marking all once again for republication, then marking all as up-to-date back in the Library module. That rigamarole got rid of the random republish stuff because now all had marked (once or twice) as up to date. That, admittedly, was a lot of work. I have a few hundred galleries. Once I got the pattern going though, it was pretty mindless.

What is an "innocuous" change? Here are two examples. When using raw files (which is most of the time), I typically use some noise reduction, but keep the noise reduction contrast at the default 0. An innocuous change here would be to set the contrast to 1. That makes virtually no visual difference. When using jpgs, I typically do not add noise reduction. Here, setting the noise reduction luminescence to 1 is innocuous.

I don't know if that helps, but it might provide a few more directions to explore. I see you got some suggestions over on the Adobe forum too. Good luck!

• Options
    Fearless FredFearless Fred Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins

I have seen both of the issues described here...

First, regarding the flags to republish random images that have been "modified" somehow, I've had this for multiple years on a Windows platform and for the last year+ on a Mac M1. I never figured out what causes the platform to identify something (that I believe has been untouched) as modified, but I have found it easier and faster simply to republish, rather than wrestle with it.

Regarding the more recent bogging down of the publishing process, I have seen that on the Mac M1 side for several weeks. I have also used an apparent workaround (meaning it hasn't failed me yet) of clicking into another folder for a moment when the process bogs, and then clicking back. I'm not doing a ton of publishing right now so have opted to wait it out with the workaround rather than roll back to 11.1.

I never really considered the idea that these two things might be related but have learned to not rule such things out arbitrarily...

• Options
    harrisphotoharrisphoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    Do we know if things are better in 11.3.1? Just got the update prompt...

> @Jtring said:
    > I was wondering if this was going to show up in Dgrin! This is a known bug in Lightroom Classic Version 11.2. Adobe has a fix in test. Lots of programs, not just SmugMug, were hit. Complaints came in from all sides. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-update-publish-collection-stalls/idi-p/12749232.
    >
    > The fix is to use the Creative Cloud interface to roll back to version 11.1. At least on Windows, you just open up Creative Cloud, hit the three dots on the line with Lightroom Classic, select "Other Versions" and hit "install" on the line with Version 11.1. That uninstalls 11.2, turns off auto update, and installs 11.1. Don't know if the Mac side works exactly the same way, but I'd guess it will be close.
    >
    > As you might guess, this one hit me. SmugMug Help noted to me that not everybody sees this. It depends on the settings you use for publishing.
  • Options

11.3.1 fixed it for me.