Cars at the top of the heap

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited March 17, 2022 in Other Cool Shots

This magnificent jewel of a Ferrari is known as the 1949 F 166 Touring Barchetta and it is the very first car to carry Ferrari's name. They produced just 24 , this one was the second off the assembly line. From this point forward, Ferrari ruled international racing for a long time. You may can discern from the picture that this is a relatively small car.. but one with a hell of a racing pedigree.

1 )

2 )

3 )

A notorious ultra wealthy playboy of the 1940's and 50's , Prince Aly Khan, had this car made for Rita Hayworth, one of the period's major movie stars. It must have been a smooth move as they got married and she retired from movie acting.. This custom car was fashioned by the famous Italian design firm, Ghia, from a 1953 Cadillac 62 coupe. Only two were made.

4)

5 )

6 )

This is a 1937 Talbot-Lago T-150 C SS. Only 10 were made. This one was first off the production line. For my money, it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made. The French had a great name for it......the Goutte du Eau.....or the "teardrop" car.

7 )

8 )

9 )

10 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins

These are AWESOME!!!

I know... I've not been on here in YEARS.......... but I've thought of you often and wondered if you still posted amazing car photos... Guess I was right, you still do!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow nice ones Tom! I love the burgundy one!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@DJT said:
    These are AWESOME!!!

I know... I've not been on here in YEARS.......... but I've thought of you often and wondered if you still posted amazing car photos... Guess I was right, you still do!

It's sure nice to hear from you. Check my comments on your Buick posting.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow nice ones Tom! I love the burgundy one!

Thanks, brother. I've also seen the other one of these two cars. It is painted black....also striking in appearance.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Tom, great shots and history. The Ferrari is right hand drive, who were they producing it for?

@Juano said:
    Tom, great shots and history. The Ferrari is right hand drive, who were they producing it for?

Good question. The Italians, like the U.S., drive on the right hand side of the road. Interestingly, notice that the Talbot-Lago is also right hand drive even though the French also drive on the right side of the road. I can only assume that either car could be ordered and built with left-hand or right-hand steering wheel placement....depending on the buyer's preference.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Super cool shots Tom.

Not a huge fan of autos but, these I could stop and gaze at with no hesitation.

The 1953 Cadillac 62 coupe, get my vote. Love the design and the color.

Beautiful work!

Many thanks, Al. I don't know if getting bitten by the car bug at an early age is a curse or a blessing. Both of my parents were car fanatics of the highest order. Consequently, I was encapsulated by the car culture almost at birth. I've loved every minute of it.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Very nice, Tom! I'm a sucker for old Ferraris (and, well, new Ferraris too) so I love that first one!

Hey, John. I hope you're doing well.

In 1981, I bought a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB. It was purchased new by a guy I knew. He had bought it for a girlfriend to use ( he was married ) and he was caught by his wife. He had to dump all of his toys, including the Ferrari. The girlfriend never liked the car, tough clutch and all, and he had stored it in a warehouse I had at the time. It had only 4,000 miles on it when I bought it. I drove it sporadically for about a year. It was never really comfortable to drive. As with a lot of Italian cars, the steering wheel was positioned at a very flat angle and the control pedals ( clutch, brake and gas ) were offset slightly to the right of the seating position. I'll say one thing, though, it was an attention grabber. Black with red leather.....beautiful car.