Questions about shooting professional bike racing

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

In a few weeks we are taking a vacation to southern Italy (Puglia) and on the way there we will spend the night in Bologna. It just so happens that on that very day the Giro d'Italia passes through - indeed we bumped our departure a day earlier so we could catch a little live action. We are both avid cyclists and enjoy watching bike racing on tv throughout the season.

I think there are a couple of you that have shot biking ( @ian408 ? @David_S85 ?) and I wonder if anyone could give me a couple of general tips on how to get an interesting shot or two? Which lens length is best? Tripod/monopod? Low/high? How to best focus - does one pick a focus point and keep shooting there or try to get individuals or groups? I am shooting with a Panasonic G85 (m43) - not especially great for action shots, but it suits my normal needs.

Bologna is about 2/3 of the way through a 205km flat stage, so they'll be moving fast but perhaps not so fast as at the very beginning or end. We have found a roundabout they pass through a couple of blocks from our hotel and hope to be able to get a place there, where they might be going just a tick slower.

Any advice (other than get a new camera :smiley: ) is appreciated.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator

I don’t shoot biking but some general hints. The Giro is incredibly popular. I would plan on handheld shots. 70-200 depending on where you are relative to the riders. A high shutter speed will freeze wheels but give tack sharp images. Slower speeds with panning will give a great sense of speed.

It will be helpful to look at photos from races like the Giro to find compositions that are pleasing. And don’t forget the crowds! Costumes and signs and just huge amounts of support for riders.

The lead riders will go through followed by maybe one or two smaller groups and then the main peloton and finally, the stragglers.

And don’t blink! It will be over in a few moments!

Enjoy the race and the experience!

Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@ian408 said:
    I don’t shoot biking but some general hints. The Giro is incredibly popular. I would plan on handheld shots. 70-200 depending on where you are relative to the riders. A high shutter speed will freeze wheels but give tack sharp images. Slower speeds with panning will give a great sense of speed.

It will be helpful to look at photos from races like the Giro to find compositions that are pleasing. And don’t forget the crowds! Costumes and signs and just huge amounts of support for riders.

The lead riders will go through followed by maybe one or two smaller groups and then the main peloton and finally, the stragglers.

And don’t blink! It will be over in a few moments!

Enjoy the race and the experience!

Ian, thanks so much for the tips. If I get any interesting shots I'll be sure to post them. I know it all goes extremely quickly so I hope I can enjoy the moment as well as get a couple of shots - we'll see!