Looking for suggestions and advice or tips and tricks

nealj121nealj121 Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
Hello!

I just started my website because I was doing stock photography but I grew tired of the small change and wanted to show my work to people I work with and such then they can share my work and buy my prints.

I tested the print store with some of my images and I was very impressed with the outcome.

I am hoping I can get some advice on my website on what it might be missing or what could be better. I would love to be able to get my GoFundMe block to work that GoFundMe gives you yet it never works when I paste it in.

I am thinking of doing a blog page. I sort of just thought I would do a more 1 page list of updates instead of doing individual pages. I used to design web pages YEARS ago for like gaming clans so many years ago and most of this stuff is lost on me.

So if you could please give me some tips/tricks for my site and advice/suggestions. Plus how do I get my site out there? Google Ads? Facebook ads? Etc?

Looking for advice!

Thanks

Link ~
https://www.jamesnealphoto.com/

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2022

@nealj121 said:
    I am hoping I can get some advice on my website on what it might be missing or what could be better. I would love to be able to get my GoFundMe block to work that GoFundMe gives you yet it never works when I paste it in.

If your GoFundMe code is Javascript (I suspect it is), then it won't work because SmugMug doesn't allow Javascript.

I am thinking of doing a blog page. I sort of just thought I would do a more 1 page list of updates instead of doing individual pages. I used to design web pages YEARS ago for like gaming clans so many years ago and most of this stuff is lost on me.

People use SmugMug to create their blog, but I prefer using WordPress and @denisegoldberg uses Blogger.

So if you could please give me some tips/tricks for my site and advice/suggestions.

I took a look on your About page. I would remove your Tech and Software info. When you go to a shop to get your car fixed, do you really care if they use Craftsman, Mac or Snap On tools? I'm a photographer and I don't care what software or camera others use.

Plus how do I get my site out there? Google Ads? Facebook ads? Etc?

Take a look at my SEO for the Photographer link in my signature. It's a bit dated, but the basics are still relevant (Titles and text).

• nealj121nealj121 Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    Is there any benefit to a white theme over black theme? I have that dark theme set up and I'm tempted to switch to white just because I feel it's easier on her eyes in terms of content spacing and I have seen some really good light themes than dark themes.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@nealj121 said:
    Is there any benefit to a white theme over black theme? I have that dark theme set up and I'm tempted to switch to white just because I feel it's easier on her eyes in terms of content spacing and I have seen some really good light themes than dark themes.

I don't think there's any "ranking" value for a dark vs light theme. All of my browsers, YouTube, Facebook etc are set for dark mode, but my website is a light theme. I would just make sure you have enough contrast for what ever theme you chose. I use 'Lighthouse' on all of my browser web tools (https://developers.google.com/web/tools/lighthouse/) to check for Accessibility.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@nealj121 said:
    I just started my website because I was doing stock photography but I grew tired of the small change and wanted to show my work to people I work with and such then they can share my work and buy my prints.

I would rethink your home page.

The fundraiser and status down the left side of the page takes away from your photography. If your purpose is to showcase your photos then use your photography to draw the viewer in.

Make it easier for your viewers to get to the type of photos that interest them by categorizing and separating the photos into different galleries.

@denisegoldberg said:
    > I would rethink your home page.
    >
    > The fundraiser and status down the left side of the page takes away from your photography. If your purpose is to showcase your photos then use your photography to draw the viewer in.
    >
    > Make it easier for your viewers to get to the type of photos that interest them by categorizing and separating the photos into different galleries.

Thanks for the home page suggestion. I had thought the same as well but wasnt sure where else to put the gofundme info. I have removed all of it for now. The changelog is basically going to be turned into the blog anyways at some point.

In terms of the photos - yes I also agree about categories vs individual events. The issue is just that, which image falls into each category and what categories would I use. I just haven't really thought it out yet.

I recommend that you change to the mini-footer instead of the full smugmug footer that you are currently using.

• click Customize Design
    • click Entire Site
    • click Design Settings
    • Change SmugMug Footer to Mini

edited May 3, 2022

It wasn't obvious to me on your Galleries/Store page that each thumb on the page represented a gallery. You might consider showing the name over each image, and I would recommend using a larger size on that page.

You can see an example of a page showing the name on my site at https://www.denisegoldberg.com/Gallery/

I would also recommend removing the number of photos online from your header. It's not something that helps your viewer at all.

Have you considered making it easier for folks to find newer photos?

@denisegoldberg said:
    It wasn't obvious to me on your Galleries/Store page that each thumb on the page represented a gallery. You might consider showing the name over each image, and I would recommend using a larger size on that page.

You can see an example of a page showing the name on my site at https://www.denisegoldberg.com/Gallery/

I would also recommend removing the number of photos online from your header. It's not something that helps your viewer at all.

Have you considered making it easier for folks to find newer photos?

I did set it to the mini footer.

I will adjust the gallery.

Most of the new photos are shown immediately on the home page when I upload.

I wanted a popular photos/new photos page but with being a new site Popular photos are not exactly going to show much. So I just stuck with leaving the recent photos on the front page. But I guess I could do a "Newest Photos" page.

I am still tempted to do a light themed site instead of the dark version I have now. Something I just feel like doing but not sure if it will really matter.

@denisegoldberg

Is your gallery a "module" like you know - its dragged from the right and you just changed some settings? or is it more custom?

I am currently creating a gallery page with "Single Photo" modules 3 in a row with bigger sized pictures than there is now - with decent sized text on each image. So it will fix everything you mentioned. Just wondering what you think about this change?

Also if anyone has any customization recommendations, send em. I love making it stand out.

edited May 4, 2022

@nealj121 said:
    Is your gallery a "module" like you know - its dragged from the right and you just changed some settings? or is it more custom?

My "gallery" page is a page containing folders where I used the "folders I choose" option.

I highlight new galleries (or folders) on my "kaleidoscope" page at https://www.denisegoldberg.com/Kaleidoscope/. That block is a Folders, Galleries, and Pages element using "items I choose".

edited May 5, 2022

I feel like with all these individual images to galleries - site loads much slower.

I did combine some galleries. That was a good thing to do while re-doing gallery.

Ok I re-did my gallery --- GO Please take a looK!
    !!!!