Mini Challenge #336: Silhouettes or Stongly Backlit Photos that are NOT Sunsets

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited May 9, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges

Sorry I don't have a catchy title this time..

In 2012, there was a mini where I thought that the object of the mini was as in the title.. And there was another one recently where I thought the idea was that background be basically featureless. A blank slate behind the object photographed. But in the 2012 mini, most people entered sunsets and eventually a sunset won. So I'm going back to that concept. Sunsets are the easy option for getting a silhouette. This time, I want something where the main object of the photo is in deep shadow. WIthout a lot of pretty colors in the background. While some of these are black and white, I really prefer to have tinges of color

Mini will run until May 31st - 8 pm EDT

I don't have a lot of photos that meet this criteria so I am hoping that you will surprise me

This is one which I call - The photo that proves I have a hole in my head (It's a selfie with the camera lense reflected in the mirror)

Backlit Hatteras Lighthouse

Birds against the sky are always a good option

An airpland model edited to look like it is flying

Tree against a waterfall rainbow

Gulls following the Sumter ferry

Tall ship in the Potomac

Barn cats warming in the winter sun

Rules

1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
  2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
  3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
  4. Give each image you enter a title.
  5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
  6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
  7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great theme!

1 Hubby in Malaga Spain

2 My lil One in running in waters of the Mediterranean Sea.

3 Loon on lake in Disney World

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

Great - thak you Joyce for starting it off

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Love this topic, @grandmaR. I really only have one that absolutely fits your description, but I've included two others as well :smiley:

1) From my Granddaughter's maternity shoot. Overlooking the canyon of the North Fork of the American river.

2) Tree in the foggy morning sun as a background.

3) Vultures warming their wings in early morning. - or vultures serenading me - you choose.

Jo exactly what I wanted. The one of the vultures is so unusual.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2022

Nice subjest, happy to join but pls. don't consider these for judging since we're leaving a vacation to Newfoundland in 2 weeks.

Backlit icicle

Looking up in "The Dome", an art installation at the Verbeke foundation in Kemzeke (Belgium)

Light at the end of the tunnel (Ruien = covered sewers) under the city of Antwerp

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins

OG SmugMug'er here, I probably participated in that 2012 challenge.

Here's my submissions:

1. "When One Speaks"

2. "Summer On The Road"

3. "The First Dance"

Thank you mr peas - interesting and different

Just FYI - I got back from the hospital yesterday. Weds they remove 20 clots from my lungs and I was sleeping a lot and not that much on the internet. Probably going to be slow here for awhile. But I am much better now. They think the clots were from my last trip.

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins

@grandmaR said:
    Thank you mr peas - interesting and different

Just FYI - I got back from the hospital yesterday. Weds they remove 20 clots from my lungs and I was sleeping a lot and not that much on the internet. Probably going to be slow here for awhile. But I am much better now. They think the clots were from my last trip.

Wow. I hope you feel better soon. I'm just glad you're on the mend.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

@grandmaR said:

Glad you are better now. Hope you continue to feel stronger each day!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@grandmaR said:

Wow, let me know if you need someone to help with the challenge at anytime. I hope you continue to improve and feel better!

• LexingtonAlarmLexingtonAlarm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2022

Hope you are feeling better @grandmaR .. glad to be back posting again...

1. Skater on Charles River, Boston, January

1. Back Yard Coyote

1. End of the day (more gently backlit than the others)

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2022

I hope you are feeling better @grandmaR.

1. Dog's day out, Carmel Sunset Beach, CA

2. Clearing Storm at Mackinac Bridge, Michigan

3. Shadow in a window

Photo 3 is a replacement photo. When all else fails post a photo of a cat.

~~Barbara

I'm getting better by the day - Barbara I think your assessment of #3 is correct. I do like the beach photo and also the skater on the Charles river by Lexington Alarm.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Thanks for the feedback @grandmaR. I will look for a different photo to replace #3.

~~Barbara

Only a couple more days

Closed

• LexingtonAlarmLexingtonAlarm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins

@grandmaR wow. I was not expecting this. I am honored you liked the skater photo enough to choose it as the winner. Also that you mentioned my beach photo.. it is one of my favorites. Also thanks to all the others who submitted. I thought this was a difficult challenge as often the temptation, at least for me, is to discard the overly backlit photos and move on to something else. Now I will try and look at them differently. I will have a new challenge up in a couple of days.

Toby